Hobo stoving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Hi everyone,
I really like the idea of hobo stoves and I'd like to try and make one (after exams of course :rolleyes:) but I have a few questions:
Firstly, what sort of tin do you use for the main stovey bit? I gather you can pick them up in supermarkets but what are they supposed to be used for?
Also, I have no tools :p Would it be possible to make one with pretty much just a knife? (I have a penknife I don't mind wrecking :p)
Thanks very much for any input,
Allie

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I made a decent and light hobo stove out of an old tomato soup tin, a nail and a leatherman. It works well.

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Brilliant, thank you!
Just another thing - is there anywhere I can get a cheapish billy can to fit into it? I'd rather not buy off the internet so I looked in my local camping shop but there's nothing, nor do Endicott's have one..

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Or another bean tin. Sometimes we can all get a bit snobbish with our kits, when a good old fashioned bean tin is really a fine substitute for a fraction of the cost. remeber Duncan Dares with Lofty Wiseman? It's a lovely log!

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Here's the Coffee tin

100_1444.jpg

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hi everyone,
I really like the idea of hobo stoves and I'd like to try and make one (after exams of course :rolleyes:) but I have a few questions:
Firstly, what sort of tin do you use for the main stovey bit? I gather you can pick them up in supermarkets but what are they supposed to be used for?
Also, I have no tools :p Would it be possible to make one with pretty much just a knife? (I have a penknife I don't mind wrecking :p)
Thanks very much for any input,
Allie

To save you wrecking a harmless penknife I've got a couple Ikea SS drainers that a lot of people have converted into hobo stoves and if you want one with a suitable hole cut in then it's yours. Just PM me your address and I'll put it in the post to you next week.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
After last nights hobo reading, and the fact that I had to visit Morrisons, I had a look for any remaining biccy tins (1 left priced at £1.98) It's mine always handy having spares. Got to the till only £1.48 yeppeeee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE