Hobo Stove Gallery (Probably picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
Well, I finally bit the bullet and now have the perfect (for now) cannistets for both stove and Billy can. They're both from TKMaxx and were less than £7 for both. I will post pics when I take some. I've got some new metalworking tools on order (new drill bit and close quarter hacksaw from Toolzone; 1st time customer). I'm working nights at the end of the week, so I'll get to making it next week. Stoked!!!! Terrible pun!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....Do dremel bits fit a full sized drill?

usually they do but not always, sometimes the chuck on drills won't close tight enough to grip the shanks of dremel bits though. just out of curiosity what are you wanting to use the dremel for? i've made a couple of hobo stoves now and i've never needed a dremel; drill, hacksaw, and file have always been the only tools i've needed

cheers

stuart

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
usually they do but not always, sometimes the chuck on drills won't close tight enough to grip the shanks of dremel bits though. just out of curiosity what are you wanting to use the dremel for? i've made a couple of hobo stoves now and i've never needed a dremel; drill, hacksaw, and file have always been the only tools i've needed

cheers

stuart

Just curious re the dremel bits. See my above post.

EDIT. I made a proper UGLY carry bag for the stove out of some old combat trouser leg. I will post pics when I've made the stove.

Last edited:

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Just had a though about the veg steamer:

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/kitche...oGz/mJ/EDWobCSiVBRIyOyC5ucstibMD 0dO5pIWduA==

combine with a aluminium potato baker:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Faringdon-C...r_1_3?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1346254038&sr=1-3

bit of dremel work on the baker and you'll have a nice trivet, i think :confused:

either way, got my steamer, now just need to figure out what to use for the stove bit that i pick up locally, nearest Ikea is Warrington and don't fancy the trip lol, need to check my pots too, see what my smallest is, why do i procrastinate so much grrr

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
Well, I'm having some mega problems making the initial drill holes in the stove (SS biscuit tin). I used a centre punch to mark the holes, and managed to get a drill bit through the lid of my 'billy can', but it wouldn't do a thing (the drill) on the sides to attach a wire handle; the job was completed with a centre punch and filed neat on the inner surface. I had some wood pressed against the inner surface when punching holes.
I actually SNAPPED two drill bits in the process; obviously too much lateral pressure I assume. I've never snapped a drill bit before; these are HSS Cobalt drill bits especially for steel! My drill is a 'Challenge Xtreme' POS from Argos (I think?). No oomph at all.
The punch method worked Ok on the upper edge to mark out the holes to be widened (with a drill!!!! lol), but the lower holes and the corner punches for the fuel slot are a massive pain in the neck. I haven't got anything to brace the tin rom the inside, (not a lot of tools, especially the capacity to cut timber). I assume the centre punch would work ok with something like wood to stop the steel from flexing away from the blow???

I'll try to rig some wood up over the next few days; I'm starting nights again tomorrow. I didn't realise it's be this difficult! It's only making holes in a biscuit tin!!!!! ;)

The hole in the lid was the only part that the drill managed!!
100_1676.jpg

Stupid drill!!!! Ivy (3years) pointing out my mistakes!!
100_1671.jpg

The two tins (Sugar tin to billy can, and biscuit tin to Hobo stove.
100_1675.jpg

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Whether Im carrying a Gas Stove, or a woodburning stove, I always have one of these on my person as well.
Some stuff's worth carrying even if you never use it.

Small bottle with 95ml meths. Enough to boil 3 litres. Small cough medicine measuring beaker.
Half a thick tin foil windbreak. White stove made from two deodorant cans.
Bag came with soap tablets for washing machine. Costs nothing, slips in a pocket, works well and only weighs 80grams.

PA232086.jpgPA232082.jpg

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Whether Im carrying a Gas Stove, or a woodburning stove, I always have one of these on my person as well.
Some stuff's worth carrying even if you never use it.

Small bottle with 95ml meths. Enough to boil 3 litres. Small cough medicine measuring beaker.
Half a thick tin foil windbreak. White stove made from two deodorant cans.
Bag came with soap tablets for washing machine. Costs nothing, slips in a pocket, works well and only weighs 80grams.

View attachment 13040View attachment 13041

Now that's a superb little set-up for a quick unexpected brew stop, I like that a lot

Cheers,

Stuart

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dave, whats the bottle you're using there? All my 100ml jobbies leak....

It's Luck of the draw I think. The seals quite tight. Thread doesnt strip if you tighten it nice and tight.
It was one of those sets they sell as travel bottles for airplanes. There were two 100ml plastic bottles, and a mini soap dispenser.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE