Hobo stove Bannock

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
As i am on call for work and stuck in the house all day i took the chance to make some bannock when the phone wasnt ringing.

I thought i would see who it truned out in the hobo stove (making a basic oven using a smaller pot.

Here is the main billy can, smaller pot and smallest pot.
1-1.jpg

i used the lid of the smallest pot as a stand
2-1.jpg

The bannock mixture (cinnamon and sugar) into the small pot
3-1.jpg

Which then sat on the stand.
4-1.jpg

onto the hob for a bit.
5.jpg

and when i came back to it i found this. sorry for the blur pic, but i was in a rush to try it
6-1.jpg

turned out fantastic, the bottom was a bit burnt but nothing too bad.

next time will try this in the woods

Thanks

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
What a great idea. I wonder if the baking process would be better if the pot in was cooking it sat on a pot stand rather than on another lid. That way the heat wouldn't be directly in contact with the base?

Anyway great idea. Gonna have to give that a go sometime.

Bon appetite as they say over here!

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
What a great idea. I wonder if the baking process would be better if the pot in was cooking it sat on a pot stand rather than on another lid. That way the heat wouldn't be directly in contact with the base?

Anyway great idea. Gonna have to give that a go sometime.

Bon appetite as they say over here!

i used a lid cos its what i had to hand, but i have a guard from a pc fan which i am going to use next time.

Biker

Please don't think I'm knowledgable on kicheny subjects like this, but I do know heat is conducted through metals. So the less direct contact between the heat source and the pan the bread is baking in then surely it wouldn't burn as easily.

My mouth's watering at the prospect of eating a home cooked cinnemon and sugar bannock.

Still damned clever idea, I think you may have cracked the "what's a good camping oven?" conundrum. Bravo!

Biker

Have you got any idea where I could get those small pots from?

Shops would be your best bet, but not shoe shops or Fish and Chip shops. You get funny looks in either, you'll have to trust me on that.

:nono: but seriously. I got a set of small coffee pots from Wilkinsons when I was in the UK last in the kitchen utensil and accessories section. IKEA also might be a good bet. Poundshops too. But I think the cheapest bet would be charity shops, but of course you never know what you're going to find, but the search is fun.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Excellent, I wonder if a couple of rocks in the bottom would work too.

Never thought of adding a bit of cinnamon to my bannock, will do next time though.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Excellent, I wonder if a couple of rocks in the bottom would work too.

Never thought of adding a bit of cinnamon to my bannock, will do next time though.

i think anything that keeps the bannock off the bottom that doesn't conduct heat to fast should work i guess.

i had a soft pretzel from a shopping centre and it was a cinnamon and sugar one, was fantastic :)

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Totally not got the hang of bannock... What's the recipe you used and how long did it cook for? Tried a gluten free bannock cause the missus can't eat wheat. Total disaster!

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
for this small mixture i used.

1 cup of flour
1/2 cup of milk powder
sugar and cinnamon to taste
pinch of salt
and enough water to mix

i cant tell you on the time as i was on call with work so kept having to take it off the heat so it didnt burn. but i just check it ever now and then. and keep fingers crossed its not burning at the bottom.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE