Historical Mapping.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
A few interesting antique cartography sites.

Old-Maps-Online is a good resource if you want to look at an area you are planning on visiting from a historical perspective.

You double click on an area on the main map, And a selection of historical maps, from different historical periods for that same area appear on the right hand side. So you can see what was located there in the 17th, 18th centuries etc.

Old-Maps-Online is linked to the excellent david rumsey site. The site has over 37,000 historical map collections and images online, and can be searched by differen categories.

A sequence of 21 historical maps, depicting the same European base map, showing the political landscape from the year 1AD to the present day.
http://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/index.html

A series of old Maps of Europe and Med Basin:
http://www.euratlas.net/antique/cartography/index.html

A list of historical maps from the University of Texas.
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/

Last edited:
Not sure of the rules governing this sort of post, but since it's on topic I think it should be OK for me to say I help run a site that sells printed matter for home interiors - posters, canvases and custom printed wallpaper. We've found maps to be really popular and have spent quite a bit of time recently sourcing world and regional maps. We've got a good mixture of modern and historical maps and have recently struck a deal with Harvey Maps to license their mapping data for production as wallpaper (the 1:40k national parks maps at the moment).

We've also struck a deal with the company that owns the OS's historical mapping data and will soon be offering on the site the ability to enter your postcode and have a poster, canvas or wallpaper printed of a map that's centred on your postcode from any period in history that the OS has data for. In the meantime you can contact us for a quote if you're interested in the historical OS data.

If anyone's interested the site is:

www.customwalldesigns.co.uk

Apologies if this is against forum policy in any way, I do have a vested interest in the site so mods please feel free to edit / remove this post as required. I had no intention of posting this prior to seeing Dave's OP.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks for posting all these links up folks, I do love maps old and new. Too easy to loose hours looking through though.

Happy GB:)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thought this was worth a bump for those who didnt catch it first time around. The Rumsey site especially interesting. Just enter your postcode and see a host of maps of where you live from the 15th Century etc......

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Thanks for the timely bump. We have been able to find out some info we had been meaning to investigate. These sites have meant we can do it from the kitchen. Many Thanks

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Your'e Welcome. Im just getting to grips with the 1:40k harveys scales, so was searching old posts, and came across this one...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE