Hilleberg Bivanorak .. any views?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 23, 2017
stirling
Ive had one for about 5 years. Got for a specific purpose (static stalking when raining), which has already been mentioned.
For my application its ideal for lying for 8-10 hours on wet heather in the rain, sitting in a high-seat or medic post for similar time-frames. Very waterproof. Top to toe, while still able to use arms and legs, unlike a bivi!
Very versatile too.
On solo treks/jobs I replace an emergency shelter with it, perfect for brew ups on the move.
While breathable, Ive found it way to hot to wear as a jacket in summertime showers or "warm rain". Fine in other seasons.
Especially good winter over delicate down clothing.
One size "fits all" and if youre a wee fella/lass can be a bit flappy in strong winds as a jacket. I wear a velcro cumberbund belt to secure.
As a sleep system for bushcraft, lie out in the rain on wet ground like a bivy if you must, but like a bivy its better with a tarp or as Janne says "shelter" as normal bushcraft camps. Fine as a damp proof layer in hammock.
Ive found its easier putting bivanorak on top of mat rather than have mat inside, especially if youre a restless sleeper.
Its possible to get into/out of sleeping bag when raining (including set up) without getting bag and clothes soaked.
Its big enough to unpack sleeping bag by sitting down wearing bivanorak with arms inside (as per design) and then set out and get in and out fairly easily.
Its very long and unless youre 6foot6 plus, you can get gear and boots inside at the bottom and close the drawcord which is more effective than it looks.
As others have said. Its , top- nob Hilleberg military issue and is robust.......but not as robust as an army issue bivi, but has lots of other attributes. An ideal all-rounder and by taking it (at a not insignificant 750g) its a certainty you can cut out something else in your pack due to its versatility. Experiment with it!
It packs into its own bag but can be compressed further to about a 1litre drysack size.
Im pleased I bought mine and its had HARD use.

Reactions: Erbswurst and Janne

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Up to which temperature can it be comfortably used?

From which temperature is it to warm to walk in it in flat country?

Nov 23, 2017
stirling
We are all different in heat Erbewurst.
I found it fine to mid 25s on rough moorland moving quickly
Sauna any higher temperature (30c+) or working hard. eg climbing
That was with it in "long jacket" configuration.
Its relatively easy to vent with big front zip and the arms are retractable.
and jacket can be shortened.
I have used in Siberian temperatures and New zealand heat
For me its more suited to colder climates....but hey, thats what it was designed for!
Meant to mention above, its easy to change clothes and layers standing inside
the garment without getting wet
Hope that is of some help

Reactions: Janne
Nov 23, 2017
stirling
Can you unzip the lower end, up to your knees, and poke your lower legs out and walk?
The zip goes to about the waist. As a jacket the desired length is adjusted by the bottom securing drawcord. So you wouldnt unzip it but move drawcord. But to answer the essential question janne, YES you can draw up to knees and walk. Thats how I use it most. So great for working around wet woodland camp.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
One has to keep in mind what it was designed for when thinking about how to use it. It was designed as a survival shelter for downed pilots.

Espen83

Mar 28, 2021
Southern Norway
I think it is a really cool piece of gear, and im very surprised that there are still so few reviews on it on YT. This gear allows me to drastically reduce my packsize, which is one of the things i like the most about it. I also love that it has the advantages of a bivy without the feeling of being confined in a small environment, and as the head is in the hood, i get plenty of fresh air, and dont need to worry about my breath creating issues with condensation. It is also pretty lightweight (mine is 500g, including stuffsack. The website states that it is a bit heavier) compared to a regular bivy + raingear, and still seems like it is pretty decent quality. It also has enough space that i can wear it over my 65L backpack (im not a big guy though). I am 170cm, and can fit my 30 liter backpack + shoes and jacket beneath my feet when i use it as a bivy, although this means that the bottom of the bivy will not turn with me as i roll over from one side to the other during the night, which is a bit annoying. Another downside of stuffing my gear in the bottom of the Bivanorak is that it means that i have to go out of the bivanorak if i need to pee in the middle of the night. Getting back in - and finding a comfortable position - can "wake up my braincells" enough that it can take some time to fall asleep again. I got it a couple of months ago, and since it is still pretty cold at nights here in Norway, i have only used it once so far, so maybe i just need to find the right technique.

I believe the Bivanorak would work much better with the "wearable sleeping bags" (or maybe just a thermal suit) than the regular sleeping bags. Then i could have my arms nice and tosty in the sleeves of the bivanorak, which would make sure the bivanorak moves with me when i roll around during the night, so i dont need to adjust the hood every time i move around. It could also save me the hassle of getting in and out of the bivy, if i wake up and have to pee in the middle of the night.

The biggest downside that i have noticed is that it doesnt work very well with sleeping pads inside it, and im not sure how inflateable pads handle being out in the rain..? Using a tarp and a groundsheet should work, but it would be cool if it worked without a tarp...

Last edited:
Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Espen83

Do you know this multifunctional "Cosy bag" sleeping bag here? It looks as if it fits well to the Bivanorak.

I would put the sleeping mat under the bivvy bag to protect it and to become more comfortable.
A used German army folding mat, perhaps under a warmer airmat.
Or if the original is not available you could try the multimat Adventure 4 XL.

You could try to use Ortlieb PS 10 dry bags and leave the rucksack outside.
That's what I do.
These dry bags were offered in olive green too. Perhaps you can still find them. There is a second version with valve.

Or you could put a rain cover over it. Varusteleka offers a few in Finnish camouflage for example.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE