Hillbill, Mark Hill knife making course.. Pic heavy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
Hillbill (Mark Hill) knife making course.. Pic heavy!

I recently got in touch with HillBill on this forum to see if he offered courses in knife making as a few other makers do. He very kindly offered to do one for me, he hadn't done this before so I admit felt felt very lucky :0)

I'll leave the cost of the day course out for Hillbill to expand on, but I can say I felt it was very good value for money especially when you factor in you'll be leaving with the knife you make!

I had been messing around with a bit of kydex sheath making and grinding a bit of 01 tool steel with very little success on the knife side of it, I'd invested in a little pillar drill, modified a bench grinder for knife grinding, top of the range dremel blah blah blah.... I can tell you non of it made up for a lack of skill lol

Mark kindly offered to spend a day doing a course with me focusing on the knife and scale/handle making, we covered everything from band sawing the template out in the tool steel, rough grinding the shape, putting a rough bezel on before heat treating, heat treating the blank, tempering, cutting the scales, drilling the blank and scales for fitting and shaping, then of course finishing the knife and putting the final edge on it...... A lot to cover in a :0S

I'd like to say Mark was very patient and opened up his home as well as his workshop to me, made me feel welcome and more like a friend than a student which of course made me feel at ease very quickly.

Mark Hill started the day by letting me choose any one of his templates to make during the day, Hillbill also chose a template and used this to show me each technique that I needed to learn to make something passable as a knife!

Hillbill would do each stage of the knife build and I would try and copy parrot fashion what he had just done.... As best I could, luckily Mark Hill was able to smooth over some of my mistakes with ease (of which there were a few)

On to some pictures...... For those that don't know Hillbill is the good looking one and I'm the short slim chap lol

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
Mark Hill knife maker cutting out my Cocobolo scales

Getting the scales to fit the blank

Shaping the sharp end of the scales before they're attached

Sorry but we both got caught up I the excitement of heat treating and tempering and forgot to take any more photos of that.

Putting the final edge on the knife before Mark Hill did the final stropping

The final product with a lot of help from Mark Hill, seriously the sharpest thing I've held ever.

My homemade kydex sheath with teklok I made the following day

And an arty one .....

Once again, great day with a lot learnt that will help greatly with the next few knives I make for friends and family and help get through the coming winter days off :0) thank you Hillbill.

Luke

Last edited:

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
Sounds brilliant. Mark is one of the finest knife makers about i would love to do his course. Need to get myself a Skookum clone from him first. If you can, please post more info and pics.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
It does look like a great day and even better than the pics you've something really special to remind you of it as well goodjob

Thanks for sharing it with us :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Glad you enjoyed it Luke. :)

Horrible pic of me ...:surrender::D

Sheath looks well mate.

I'm going to be offering courses maybe once a month in the new year guys, for a max of 2 people each time. :)

Last edited:

Neal78

Dec 5, 2013
ipswich
Well done mate. Im going to try and make a knife at home soon out of a file using basic tools. It wont be as polished as you have made yours but because I've put the effort in it will probably be my favourite knife.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I saw the knife over weekend and hes done a great job. Great looking knife Luke :)

I think myself and another member would be up for doing the 2 man course in new year Bill :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
No worries mate, just give us a shout and we can sort something. The 2 man courses would be over two days, and would cover the sheath making side of things aswell. We didn't have time to completely finish that knife when Luke was here. So 2 days would defo be needed.

I saw the knife over weekend and hes done a great job. Great looking knife Luke :)

I think myself and another member would be up for doing the 2 man course in new year Bill :)

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley

Yes indeed ! :),
Very impressed by the results and cheers for the intro into Kydex Luke:)

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Glad you enjoyed it Luke. :)

Horrible pic of me ...:surrender::D

Sheath looks well mate.

I'm going to be offering courses maybe once a month in the new year guys, for a max of 2 people each time. :)

Get a body double thats what I do;) No seriously sounds great mark all the best in your new venture im pretty sure its going to be a success, will you be posting prices or just pm people the details.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE