hiking watches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
lo all.

ive gone several years without a watch, and its about time i got a new one. On this vein, i was thinking about killing two birds with one stone (hiking gear and gadget fix) and getting a hiking watch.

The only real thing i think might be handy is an electric compass (obviously not sole compass id take) - does anyone use such a watch and does anyone have any recommendations ?

also, having a digital compass on your arm isnt going to make your normal compass go ape **** is it ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You might find this thread interesting Sirex.

I`d think about buying a decent analogue watch with good night visibilty and a seperate compass, rather than the two combined. Too many things to go wrong I suppose, either that or I`m just a tight Yorkshireman :D

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
You might find this thread interesting Sirex.

I`d think about buying a decent analogue watch with good night visibilty and a seperate compass, rather than the two combined. Too many things to go wrong I suppose, either that or I`m just a tight Yorkshireman :D

Not all us Yorkshiremen are tight, just careful :lmao:

Go for a seperate watch and compass Sirex, too much can go wrong, although you'll probably have replies saying "A WATCH!!!!!!! DAMN YOU USE THE SUN" :lmao:

Personally i use a G-Shock, best watch i've ever owned and it's taken a battering

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sub £15, ten year battery life, I've had mine for over a year and it does the job. Contrary to bushcraft urban myth, the blue back light (you click on or off as needed) won't kill your night vision

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2544502/Trail/searchtext>TIMEX+EXPEDITION.htm

It is so comfy I don't need to take it off when on the computer using the mouse a lot, in fact I've not taken it off since I had it, and yes, I do have a bath/shower everyday ;)

Dexter

Forager
Jan 23, 2007
Birmingham, UK
www.th.ph.bham.ac.uk
How about a solar powered Casio Waveceptor. Will go virtually forever powered by the rays and as long as you're in Europe it'll be totally accurate because it syncs to a radio signal which itself is synced to an atomic clock. I've got one and I love it.

Here's one such model although there are load of others. Maybe they do G-shocks with solar as well?

http://www.casio.co.uk/Products/Watches/Wave%20Ceptor/WVA-430DU-2A2VER/At_a_Glance/

delbach

Settler
May 21, 2005
N Wales
Sub £15, ten year battery life, I've had mine for over a year and it does the job. Contrary to bushcraft urban myth, the blue back light (you click on or off as needed) won't kill your night vision

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2544502/Trail/searchtext>TIMEX+EXPEDITION.htm

It is so comfy I don't need to take it off when on the computer using the mouse a lot, in fact I've not taken it off since I had it, and yes, I do have a bath/shower everyday ;)

I agree with rik, great watch for the money
Andrew

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
yea, sorry for not searching, totally forgot :(

good points here and in suggested thread.. after watching some youtube videos of the fancy watches, their a bit... disappointing! - im edging towards a waveceptor or g-shock, which are also fairly cheap as a bonus. ill pop down to argos tommorow and see what they can flog me. :)

thanks all :)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
The one I wear most is a Timex expedition shock resistant model with leather strap.

Has the blue backlight.

got it in Argos can't remember price..between £20-£30.

Really good watch imho.I really like the backlight and the numerals are a good size.

Well worth the money.

Probably the one up from the Timex already posted (not sure though).

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I wouldn't recommend the solar recharging ones, although I like the concept. A friend of mine had on (I believe Casio was the make) and after a year or 2 the battery was completely ruined and the watch would only do anything at all in full sunlight...
Personally I'm using a sporty, stainless steel, digital Casio watch with green backlight. Works like a charm, has been running without replacing the batteries for about 4 years and still looks and feels fine :)

If you are planning to wear the watch in colder climates, a leather strap is recommended since the metal could rapidly cool the skin under it because of its heat transporting properties. (Which is why you are not advised to wear piercings in the cold as well, at least in Belgian news...) Obviously you could alternatively just wear the metal watch on top of your long sleeved thermal underwear or a piece of leather or... Shouldn't be much of a problem.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I uses a suunto advisor it was bought for me as a prezzy, lots of features but the ones i use the most are the altimeter and the barometer. I never use the compass at all prefering my silva any day. its also got a heart rate monitor which I use to use when i was fit it would depress me now I reckon.lol . I know these watches are pretty pricey and would assume any of the other sports watches will do just as well. Id say keep it simple!!

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Anyone know of a watch which will record temperature over time? i.e. So that, in the morning, you can check to see how cold it got in the night.

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
dropped into argos today and started playing bingo with the stock checker. got a £59 waveceptor for £28... bonus ! was last in stock too :p

grebo247365

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2007
Grimsby, Lincolnshire, GB.
Never trust a digital compass, I have had two fail on me, stuck out on bleaklow in near zero visibility due to cloud with my swanky watch telling me SW whichever way I pointed it, always carry a REAL compass.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE