hiking boots or army boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
even while hiking in the heatwave recently, water managed to get into my boots

so high army boots must be a benefit (are they waterproof to the top?)

are gaiters effective at stopping water getting in at the top of a hiking boot?

are army boots more uncomfortable?

thanks all, wondering what to buy next

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Good quality walking boots are better than army boots for hillwalking, and gaitors will stop water and debris getting in the top, unless you fall in a steam above your knee.

For walking in the summer though, I use fell running shoes and accept the fact that I'll get wet feet.

Keeping your feet dry is a late 20th century invention anyway.

Cheers, Michael.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
As long as it isn't really cold I'd prefer to have a pair of boots which aren't totally waterproof but which dry quicker. Completely water proof boots [i.e. wellys] are great at keeping feet dry until the point they do get wet [anywhere near the coast/ a stream/ river and something will come over the top eventually] then your walking around in an artifical puddle all day:( also waterproof tends to be less breathable and more sweaty.

AdamSon

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2013
Co. Durham
I have always worn army boots, I wouldn't reccomend them to anyone doing a lot of walking unless you can deal with the pain and blisters for the first couple of times, but once they are broken in they are comfy. The problem with army boots is that the MOD seem to think everybody has the same shape feet, that shape doesn't exist!

I am actually stood in a pair of the old pro boots, now those are very comfy!

But if you can afford it, I would invest in a pair of altbergs. They are super comfy and will last you a lifetime.

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
As long as it isn't really cold I'd prefer to have a pair of boots which aren't totally waterproof but which dry quicker. Completely water proof boots [i.e. wellys] are great at keeping feet dry until the point they do get wet [anywhere near the coast/ a stream/ river and something will come over the top eventually] then your walking around in an artifical puddle all day:( also waterproof tends to be less breathable and more sweaty.

what if you go out on a hike for a couple of days when you know it will be raining? surely you would take waterproof boots then? I use my leather non-waterproof boots at the moment, but I would not go on a hike if it is raining with them

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I got myself a set of these Brasher Supalite II's there a great set of boots but only at this price if you take a 12. Not a great fan of membrane lined boots (there great until you get water over the top, but take longer to dry when you do) but at 1/2 price its well worth it.

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
If you're talking about hillwalking, look around and see what other hillwalkers are wearing. Most people still wear good quality leather walking boots.

Although I've moved away from this for late spring - summer - early autumn hillwalking, if I only had the choice of one set of footwear it would be the good quality leather walking boots, with gaiters when needed. If you're determined to keep your feet dry at any cost, then walking boots and properly fitted Yeti Gaiters are about the best choice available to you, but this is less versatile than normal gaiters which are much easier to don and remove.

Army boots are great for kicking about in the woods etc, but if they were good hillwalking boots, people wouldn't spend their hard earned cash on expensive walking boots. They'd be down to the surplus shops buying the general purpose boots that the government of whichever country the boots came from paid the contractor who gave them the cheapest price to mass produce footwear for their armies.

Brocktor

Banned
Jul 25, 2006
uk
If you're talking about hillwalking, look around and see what other hillwalkers are wearing. Most people still wear good quality leather walking boots.

Although I've moved away from this for late spring - summer - early autumn hillwalking, if I only had the choice of one set of footwear it would be the good quality leather walking boots, with gaiters when needed. If you're determined to keep your feet dry at any cost, then walking boots and properly fitted Yeti Gaiters are about the best choice available to you, but this is less versatile than normal gaiters which are much easier to don and remove.

Army boots are great for kicking about in the woods etc, but if they were good hillwalking boots, people wouldn't spend their hard earned cash on expensive walking boots. They'd be down to the surplus shops buying the general purpose boots that the government of whichever country the boots came from paid the contractor who gave them the cheapest price to mass produce footwear for their armies.

You have convinced me, leather hiking boots it is
thanks cumbrian
I got myself a set of these Brasher Supalite II's there a great set of boots but only at this price if you take a 12. Not a great fan of membrane lined boots (there great until you get water over the top, but take longer to dry when you do) but at 1/2 price its well worth it.

are these just as good and comfortable as the boots seen in shops like cotswolds? I take a 12. are leather boots without membranes better?

thanks copper

Last edited:

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Depends which "Army boots" you have, after all they are designed (supposedly) to be worn whilst doing all terrain walking, some of the old boots were pretty dire, but the newer stuff is a lot better.

I wear Han Wags not cheap at about £150 a pair, but good enough for my needs

HanWag-SF-LX-Sml-1.jpg

Wifey has a pair of Military issue Combat boots with the Gortex linings, she loves them, and she does a fair bit of milage in them.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
are these just as good and comfortable as the boots seen in shops like cotswolds? I take a 12. are leather boots without membranes better?
thanks copper

Well I like them, I have quite wide feet if that helps any. Not sure if unlined boots are 'better' exactly, personal preference I guess. My experience is that lined boots work well and require less maintenance to keep them waterproof but like I said when you get water into them (this is normally getting water over the top of the boot) they take longer to dry out as the membrane is essentially working against you now.
Like the Cumbrian says gaiters are a good choice with either option.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
I've had goretex lined lightweight boots (suede and nylon uppers) in the past, and they were great while the liners lasted. If you opt for this type of boot and don't expect them to last for that long you won't go far wrong. I had my last pair of unlined Zamberlans for 17 years of hard use, although this included two resoles and a new heel lining. My current Zamberlans are only a year old, and I'm looking forward to many years use out of them.
LIKE copperhead, I've got broad feet, and I've found that they fit me best. Ultimately, that is the most important thing in any boot. If the rest of the world thinks a pair of boots are fantastic, but they don't fit properly, then they're s***e.

Cheers, Michael.

Last edited:

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire

Its a fair point- not all boots are equal, some are nasty cheap rubbish, but (on a budget) I've never gone wrong with a carefully chosen army boot and have walked alot.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I have experience of armed forces standard issue boots that they give you in recruit training. They take an age to properly break in and were never particularly comfortable when they finally are. Very robust though and take a lot of stick.
Now I use Cat colorados for every day dog walking, camping, general use and the odd mountain climb - they are very tough and hard wearing. I still have a serviceable pair that are ten years old and used every day for two of those. I use Meindl Burmas for the more hardcore trekking and climbing stuff.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I have experience of armed forces standard issue boots that they give you in recruit training. They take an age to properly break in and were never particularly comfortable when they finally are. Very robust though and take a lot of stick.

Which type were they Leon?

I was issued two pairs of the old DMS ankle boots back in the 80's and have used a variety of service boots since then.

With the high leg boots of the 90's the Non-parade boots we just soaked them in very hot water for 30 minutes, then walked them dry over the course of a day, usually needing a change of socks at some point, then a good few layers of quality boot polish and they are good for a few years of hard work.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I have a pair of tactical 511 patrol boots, + a pair of Burma pro hiking boots I have all avenues covered by these pair up for anything you can throw at them, durable and very comfortable, beats the issue boots hands down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE