Hike through the Veluwe or Utrechtse Heuvelrug? (NL)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
you're really planning to walk across the utrechtse heuvelrug AND the veluwe? I thought it was this or that. It won't be easy, walking one week >20km a day with a backpack full of gear, but it's okay with me! :D

But because the majority of the group will stay just a long weekend, shall we walk from North to South? From Nunspeet to Arnhem?

I'm quite familiar with the area under Nunspeet. We can start at 't Harde(village next to Nunspeet, train station). If we go south, it will be a very variable walk with different sorts of land: heathland, 'kwel' (clear water source!) and of course woodland.

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
ok nunspeet sounds good if we walk less, there's more time to gather food and find water...
In may there's really alot of food to be found, is ther some fishable water on the route?

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Not that I know of. I'm not really a fisher :p

In the Leuvenumse/Hierdense Beek should be some fish, but thats on the western parts near Harderwijk. I think next friday I'll take a look.

edit:
Been there!
I haven't seen any fish! It's quite clear water, not very deep at the moment/spot though. But it still runs through some 'civilised' areas, so there can be some pollution from fertilizers or sewer overflows. But that's probably minimal.
Maybe next year I'll be able to test some waters on pollution.

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
hey, as it wil be in about two weeks from now, maybe it's time to get some more detailed planning done.

Where exactly will we meet and at what time?
We will need some pretty detailed maps of the area(I allready have a compass)
As the veluwe is the almost only location in the netherlands that's not below sea level, water will be an issue, some refill locations will be needed and a ceartain carrying capacity per person would also be handy.

so'.....
like to hear something again:You_Rock_

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
The bicycle-map is the map that covers the whole Veluwe. It isn't detailed like the Staatsbosbeheer/Falklandplan maps, but that isn't always necessary. Staatsbosbeheer has maps from Nunspeet and the middle of the Veluwe. For resupplies there are supermarkets in some villages.
We could start at Nunspeet, than we could decide which direction (western/eastern part) we could go to.

What about starting at friday 10am? squantrill/simon, mortalmerlin, thijzzz, what about you?

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
The bicycle-map is the map that covers the whole Veluwe. It isn't detailed like the Staatsbosbeheer/Falklandplan maps, but that isn't always necessary. Staatsbosbeheer has maps from Nunspeet and the middle of the Veluwe. For resupplies there are supermarkets in some villages.
We could start at Nunspeet, than we could decide which direction (western/eastern part) we could go to.

What about starting at friday 10am? squantrill/simon, mortalmerlin, thijzzz, what about you?

Afraid Ill have to cancel job changing again!! have fun though guys real shame this is almost by back door ;)

Simon

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
10 o'clock is fine for me! Shall we exchange personal details like phone no's. etc via PM?

I'll come from the south (Oss), so if there's anyone I can pick up, just let me know!

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
Friday 10am sounds good.

Is the plan to go from Nunspeet towards Arnhem then? I kind of need to know where I will arrange collection from :)

I will PM you (Pantalaimon) my contact details as well.

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
I've just got off the phone with Pantalaimon and MortalMerlin, and this is all the info I've heard: (please correct me if I'm wrong)

* Pantalaimon knows the area and camped out there before, so that's perfect. The hike starts in Nunspeet and goes in the direction of Arnhem. We spend the first night rougly in the area around Vierhouten. After that, there's no set plan, just enjoy the hike and see how far we go depending on fitness etc.

* MortalMerlin is coming from Leuven, Belgium and can pick me up (in Oss) and Pantalaimon (in Houten). :You_Rock_ Then we drive to Nunspeet.
(Mortalmerlin: That's a 4 hour drive. If you want, you're welcome to spend the night in Oss so you can get up bright and shiny. Warning: it's Senseo or instant coffee here :D )

Stijn: where do you live, and do you have transport?

* Food & water: might be the most practical if everyone brings their own?

My GF is really bummed that she has to work and can't come....she'll survive :D

Ps: if you go to www.marktplaats.nl now, you can get a "travel all you want on 1 day"-ticket for only € 17,95. Takes 4-5 days to get delivered to your door, so be quick!

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
@thijs: transportation is no problem for me as long as we start and end somewhere near a train station.

water will be a bit of a challenge though as you'll need at least 2l pp pd and that means either carry alot of weight or resupply often.......

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Great!

The weather report says that it won't be cold, but on Friday a bit of rain. Nothing too extreme it seems. :)

Last bit of planning:
About the food and water: we could take enough for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Also we could resupply on Saturday in Elspeet for Saturday and Sunday(=stores closed). For water, we could always knock on someone's door :p

What are your idea's?
Martin: how long can/will you be staying?

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
hej, as it's getting near friday, I have another great question: where exactly will we meet? At the train station in nunspeet? and Panthalaimon, I hope you can get a map? then I'll bring my compass.
And just to be shure, it would be nice if everyone has about 2-3 litre water carrying capacity as it wouldn't be nice to have to refill every hour XD

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
Martin: how long can/will you be staying?

I was planning on staying for the friday, saturday and sunday but it is always possible I get called away for work.

Do we know for sure if we can use fire to cook? Trying to fit everything in for 3 days is proving tricky so it would be cool if I could leave the stove out :)

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Just besides the train station is a good spot. There's a "kiss n ride" spot. I'll have some maps with me.
And indeed, don't underestimate the importance of water. It will be about 20 degrees Celsius max. I'm thinking of resupplying at Saturday in Elspeet, so we don't have to take food/water for 3 days with us. What do you guys think?

You can leave your stove at home. It won't be quiet in the woods because of the holidays, but most tourists probably won't go very deep in the forests in the evening/early morning. :)

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Guys, I will not be joining you: I've had headaches for some weeks now (never have them normally) and it's been getting worse last week and this week. I wake up every morning at 5 with a pounding head, and it lastst all day. Thank God for Ibuprofen. The doc says I should keep rest for a week, and though I looked foward to the hike, I'm pretty sure warm weather + hiking = more trouble. So I'll have to bail out.

Hope you guys have fun!

PS: recently there have been some fires on the Veluwe, take this in account when choosing your overnight spot!!

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
@thijzz: to bad mate, hope you'll get over it soon.
Just hope for some sort of unexpected magical recovery though :p
@mortalmerlin: I'll bring a little butane burner "just in case" as it doesn't really weight anything, it is a bit noisy though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE