Hike through the Veluwe or Utrechtse Heuvelrug? (NL)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Hi there!
For a time now, I have the idea in the back of my head to hike through the Veluwe or Utrechtse Heuvelrug(The 2 large(st) forests in the Netherlands) from one end to the other.
Today I was walking on the Utrechtse Heuvelrug. While thinking of preparations for my Sweden trip in June, I connected the idea of preparing me/my kit with the idea of hiking across the Veluwe/Utrechtse Heuvelrug and thought that there are more bushcrafty people in the Netherlands(or somewhere else) who probably like the idea too.

My raw idea was a hike from 4 to 7 days (U. Heuvelrug would be shorter). Not more than 5 hours walking a day (there are plenty more things to do in de woods! ;)) Not too many planning (going where your feet takes you or interesting spots).

One reason for me to do this, besides the obvious ones, is to learn what I need to carry (or can replace) for water and food etc.

What do you think of this idea? Do you like to join? Tell me! :cool:

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
I've been thinking of similar things, the biggest problem is probbably finding a place to legally sleep.(not a problem if you don't mind a bit of risk)
The longest route possible would probbably be from hilversum to zwolle, only near wageningen, there is about 10 km of non-forrest.
Just measured it on google earth and it should be about 125 km...

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Hi Stijn!

Well, from Zwolle to Wageningen is the longest route indeed. I thought of something from Nunspeet to Arnhem(north-south). Probably 60 km in straight lines.
There are some paalkampeerplaatsen where we can put some tarps up, but I like to seek some quiet places where we can make some shelters from natural materials. I know a beautiful spot for a debris hut for example (made my first one there, and am proud of that). And on almost every legal campsite campfires aren't allowed. When avoiding weekends, it's possible to walk all day without seeing more than 5 people. Depending on weather and distance to a city/town. So you don't have to care about being caught for wildcamping.

Any other things whats holds you back of joining this trip? :D

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
Hi Stijn!

Well, from Zwolle to Wageningen is the longest route indeed. I thought of something from Nunspeet to Arnhem(north-south). Probably 60 km in straight lines.
There are some paalkampeerplaatsen where we can put some tarps up, but I like to seek some quiet places where we can make some shelters from natural materials. I know a beautiful spot for a debris hut for example (made my first one there, and am proud of that). And on almost every legal campsite campfires aren't allowed. When avoiding weekends, it's possible to walk all day without seeing more than 5 people. Depending on weather and distance to a city/town. So you don't have to care about being caught for wildcamping.

Any other things whats holds you back of joining this trip? :D

Id be interested to.. not sure about a week off work yet though!

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Nice!

What about (the end of) May? Spring!
The woods are not yet crowded with the summer visitors(and mosquito's :D )
And we have the chance to really use the shelters.
Plus getting off work is much easier ;)

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
ehm I can go in the weekends and in school holidays...(there is one from 14-22 february) or the first week of may.....

using natural shelters is not only great fun, but also allot harder to spot(boswachters) and an A-frame shelter filled with leaves is also a bit warmer than a hammock.(and if you cheat by using a tarp and then leaves, it can be done in 5 mins)
I think we should probbably discuss it further via pb or mail as 1 wild camping is illegal and 2 I can read english no problem, but I suck at writing in english.....

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
ehm I can go in the weekends and in school holidays...(there is one from 14-22 february) or the first week of may.....

using natural shelters is not only great fun, but also allot harder to spot(boswachters) and an A-frame shelter filled with leaves is also a bit warmer than a hammock.(and if you cheat by using a tarp and then leaves, it can be done in 5 mins)
I think we should probbably discuss it further via pb or mail as 1 wild camping is illegal and 2 I can read english no problem, but I suck at writing in english.....

Syijn your english is perfect trust me I know ;)

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
Here's a list of natuurcampings in Gelderland:
http://staatsbosbeheer.nl/Overnachten/Kampeerterreinen/Zoekresultaten.aspx?campingType=&province={0ADB082A-5196-4368-BAA7-D2D02D0F6238}

It would be possible to make a route so that we can stay on one of those campsites every night, then we can also make a fire...
Though it is less "free" than just walk southward untill we're tired.
Off course a combination is also possible...

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
Are we looking at the first whole week or the first weekend in May ?

Long weekend no problem a week for me right now is going to be a bit akward..

re: pm

Simon

A week might be a problem for me to take off too.

But maybe it's possible we could go along for x number of days and leave the group half way though or something like that?

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
A week might be a problem for me to take off too.

But maybe it's possible we could go along for x number of days and leave the group half way though or something like that?

I just was typing that proposal :D

you're of course also welcome :)

So, shall we begin the trip on Friday then? Includes a long weekend for you the whole Friday?

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
we could also start by crossing the veluwe in the weekend and do the utrechtse heuvelrug during the week or other way round...

or stay at one spot(natuurcamping?) in the weekend so we can have a fire and make some jerky and stuff and do the hike in the week...

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
we could also start by crossing the veluwe in the weekend and do the utrechtse heuvelrug during the week or other way round...

or stay at one spot(natuurcamping?) in the weekend so we can have a fire and make some jerky and stuff and do the hike in the week...

Im up for that ;) I just have my naatuur camping book in Ill take a look but remeber most of these campings maybe shut and we will need to approach the bos wachter niels and I had to do the same for kuinre when we stayed there over a long weekend

Simon

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Mmmmm, I'm interested. Same for me with work: leaning more towards taking friday and monday off, a whole week is too much.

Remark: I ususally don't walk much with a rucksack, so this will be a good test for me too. Might also mean that I won't be the quickest :D

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
so, any more ideas regarding the place we'll start?
if we'll start near hilversum, we can have the first night legal at austerlitz, then we could probbably be near wageningen at the end of the weekend and be near zwolle at the end of the week. so anyone who can only stay for the weekend can get on a train at wageningen.

another posibility would be to start in either zwolle, Arnhem or wageningen and split up at Apeldoorn...

feel free to criticize:deal:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE