Hike through the Veluwe or Utrechtse Heuvelrug? (NL)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Well, we're back home!
When Martin and me were in Nunspeet, Stijn was there also early. So we did start early. We've walked around Vierhouten, visited the Verscholen Dorp ('disguised village'), a place in the woods where Jews and other people were hiding for the nazi's in WW2. We walked at a fair speed, which we would later regret. After something more than 15 km, we made camp. After seeing Martin lying in his hammock, I became a bit jealous ;).

The next day we went to Elspeet for supplies. We came through some heathland with old gardens from long past days. The first blisters were formed when we walked to the supermarked. There got Martin a call that he had to return to home for work. We ate something and I bought the bivvybag I borrowed. Nice peace of kit! Then we said goodby to Martin as he walked back to Nunspeet. Stijn and I walked to the forests of the crown. Quite unknown in the Netherlands, there were some nice hills. We saw a good amount of deer, and not so many boars as I expected. Our camp was in a nice 'big' (Dutch standards) beech part. When we went for an evening walk at nightfall, we'd meet another pair of guys who thought it was also nice to spent a night in the woods. Another more then 15 km with our footsteps on it.

Sunday, we really felt our blisters. But we came through some places that don't felt Dutch: slopes with beautiful green grass and farms in the middle of the forest. The day was quite hard, so we had dinner and relaxed in a small village. After that another hour of walking and problems with finding a place to sleep: trapped on a road with fences on both sides. No campfire, but Stijn's burner brought forth some hot chocolate before crawling into our sleeping bags. We had walked more than at the beginning was planned, this day was 23 more km closer to our goal.

Monday started cold. Our bodies felt the day before. This day it was really stumbling to Arnhem. Sunday, Stijn had the plan to catch a bus at the edge of Arnhem, but he didn't. We walked through Arnhem straight to a sidewalk cafe for a beer. At 13:30 we could let our feet rest there.

We walked more than 70 km in 4 small days. Not very much maybe, but neither of us had many experience with hiking. Thereby, my normal hikingshoes were damaged so I had to walk on new sandals. Stijn also learned a lesson to buy a good pair of shoes ;)
It was a nice experience and I have learned a lot. Even with a lot of blisters, I could say it was successful.

Now I have the plan to walk it in 1 day. :cool:

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
It was great to meet you both and a shame I got called back :( Still it was nice to get at least one night in the woods. The walk back upto Nunspeet was nice and even better my car hadn't been towed. Hope the blister plasters helped.

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
It was a great weekend, never tought the veluwe was so big (seems small though becouse it's divided into many small rectangulair pieces.)
I really like(d) the spot where we camped on saturday, nice beech forrest with allot of deer and boars and enough firewood within reach
Now I just discovered on google earth that we could've easilly walked throug the deelerwoud if we had just gone over the fence as you suggested:D

have to buy better shoos next time though:rolleyes: blisters can be pretty painfull:D

thanx for a nice read guys! And for some extra info on a planned trip in the future, time permitting....I still have the idea to walk from de Utrechtse Heuvelrug to Het Zwolsche Bos (Heerde)... the long way but haven't found time yet to figure out logistics with water...

What was the navigation tools used? Google Earth or maps too or?

Grtz Johan

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
haha, I'm still sitting here with blisters and you are ready for a new trip :D

We navigated on maps of Staatsbosbeheer(Nunspeet and Midden-Veluwe) and a cyclingmap with good navigating points. Only the south-west part is a bit unknown on maps.

And indeed, the spot of saturday was really nice. Beech with the leaves of last fall on the ground, and young green leaves in the trees. Looked a bit fluorescent.

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
Guys sounds like I missed a nice weekend not sure I could have managed the 70km though getting old you see ;)

Maybe if there is another weekend ? then ill try to get there this time!!

Simon

too bad you we're not there. Then we would have gone slower = less blisters ;):lmao:

Thanks again for the blister plasters and bivvybag Martin. :)

madcow

Feb 19, 2009
Netherlands
he he

I any one is interested, I can get the phone number of a gamekeeper stationed at Lochem.
And I know that he is very flexible when it comes to wild camping, so long as all the rubbish is cleaned up and the site is not abused. The times I was there it was because of my study, but I'm almost sure that he will be all right with it.

I its located near the Lochemse Golf & Country Club De Graafschap. I have camped there 3 times already and it's a nice bit of pine forest, and its a protected bit of wood so there not allot of people come trough there.

I'll be in Italie from the 19e off June. But If someone wants the number I will send it to you. But it might take some time to get it as my teacher is a bit slow with answering mail :)

Bas

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE