Hi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joseph

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2006
Norfolk
Hello,

I'm Joe long time lurker so decided to say hello. I'm a student studying plant sciences in Sheffield. I've always had an interest in the outdoors and tools mainly from my grandfather who i never met but heard stories about. He was a doctor with the inuit in Canada before coming over here in the second world war with the Canadian air force. So i've been playing with ulu's, scrapers, harpoon heads and bone pins since i was small.

Laters,

Joe.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Welcome Joe - sounds like you should fit right in around here! Looking forward to picking your brain on the plant side!

Red

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Hello and welcome to Bcuk Joe i would really like to see some photos of the Inuit artifact you have esecially the harppon head I've wanted to make an Inuit harpoon for a long time.

James

Joseph

Tenderfoot
May 27, 2006
Norfolk
Hi Jon,

I'm not sure on that one at all, my course is quite wide ranging so I could go into plant genetics or cell biology. I'm not sure the lab is for me but I find it very interesting so i'm doing a lab placement this summer and I'll see how it goes. On the other hand there is an ecology element or I might try some horticulture. The dream job would be to travel and try and discover some new species but thats more of a lifestyle and needs a lot of experience.

I can post some pictures for you James when I go back home from uni in a couple of weeks, in the mean time it is a socket type harpoon with a metal blade inserted into ivory like this one

http://www.rom.on.ca/exhibits/ivory/role_imagegallery_3_3.php

You can see the hole behind the blade for the line for a float while hunting.

Cheers all,

Joe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE