Swiss Rubberized Rusksack (advice wanted)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all,
So as I've stated here before I do mostly canoe camping. the canoe does most of the work, but portaging is always the hardest part. Usually I'm alone, and I've had a bad back for a long time, but all this portaging is certainly making it worse. I'm to the point where I'm going to go back to physiotherapy to try and fix it once and for all.

Anyway, I've been attempting to carry less. With that in mind I've been looking for a smaller, and possibly more traditional pack, to force my hand with this. I currently use a 70L drybag backback. It also only has the one compartment. I visited my local army/navy surplus looking for a possible diamond in the rough, as the Canadian gear is usually in pretty poor shape bu the time it reaches surplus. DIdn't see much, saw some Rothco milspec bags, but nothing interesting at a price I liked.

Then I saw these

IMG_20130722_172949.jpg

And asked for details, confirming my suspicions. They are Swiss bags, similar to the salt and pepper canvas style I've seen. I'm sure I've seen these on this forum, but I searched (several tries) and failed to find a good thread on them.

I found the measurements from a site online selling a NOS one of these for $60 incl shipping within the US, not sure what he'd charge to Canada tho. It looks like the pack is around 42L for the main compartment. My local store is selling for $40, and the leather has some wear, but is still functional. They are also not willing to budge on price.

So for those who have experience with these bags, or the canvas ones, could you please give me some feedback and tell me what you think? Is it worth $40 CAD? Are they comfortable bags, do they carry well? Show me some pics and tell me some stories!

Thanks
Hugh

Last edited:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Nope, never seen one or used one before. I've always used some sort of framed rucksack (internal or external) since a teenager, before that I used a blue canvas one with tan coloured leather straps as a daysack. More likely to use a bin bag inside to keep my kit dry when walking the highways and by-ways around my locality.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Looks like a good way to make your bad back worse to me.

Although they're much more expensive, Granite Gear make traditional style portage packs from modern materials with modern back systems. As well as investing in a quality product, you'll be giving yourself the best chance of not knackering your back completely and being unable to take part in the outdoor lifestyle that you want.

Cheers, Michael.

To be fair, these do have a small internal frame, as well as a leather strap on the bottom for suspension as well as airflow.

sm.rubber.ruck.a.jpg

The two loops on the shoulder straps are supposed to be attached to the metal loops up top in this image.

The drybag I have already is pretty ergonomic and has a padded waistbelt as well as a chest strap, but I'm just looking for something smaller and perhaps more traditional.

woodsrunner

Forager
May 13, 2013
Montana USA
first let me say i have owned and used this pack a fair amount...most canoe packs tend to put most of the load onto the shoulders, this bag is no different.

the bag is totally waterproof unless submerged in a lake and then not so much and i'm a bit concerned about the leather bottom of the pack sitting in a canoe who's bottom may be filled with several inches of water....not sure what effect that may have on the leather:confused:
personally i find the pack comfortable as long as you don't overload it...on the otherhand, its one of the best built rucks out there and the all leather straps (once broken in to your shoulders) are surprizingly comfy,
still...like TC said if your having back problems these bags may only aggravate the condition.
you really should look for a pack that transfers most of the weight to the hips....good luck amigo!...woods

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Iv got one of these and i love it! Its nostalgic, heavy and well made! Everything you would expect for a vintage pack.. As you will already know what's not thick leather is rubberized canvas which are both not the lightest of items.

They have recently popped up for sale here as a reconditioned rucksack.. http://www.wynnchester.co.uk/military-canvas-rucksacks/swiss-mountain-pack/

Pit pricy for me but it just shows how they can scrum up! :)

Just picked this up. I rooted through the boxes until I found one that had the leather waist band still tight and in good shape. Just gave it a quick wipe with soapy water to get rid of the surplus smell, and I think before I use it I may try to dye the leather brown and treat it with neatsfoot oil. But i may just see how much it would be for a local shop to do it for me :)

Bit pricey and I debated not getting it, but I figured what the hell. I don't have a nice vintage pack.

Will post pics after it's cleaned up.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Iv got one of these and i love it! Its nostalgic, heavy and well made! Everything you would expect for a vintage pack.. As you will already know what's not thick leather is rubberized canvas which are both not the lightest of items.

They have recently popped up for sale here as a reconditioned rucksack.. http://www.wynnchester.co.uk/military-canvas-rucksacks/swiss-mountain-pack/

Pit pricy for me but it just shows how they can scrum up! :)

or here for >£30 ;)

http://www.transworldsurplus.co.uk/574-army-surplus-rucksack-60-litres-leather-and-nylon.html

Oh well.

At least your bushcrafty looking pack will provide some consolation to you if your back packs in.

Saucy!

The biggest concern with my back is not just buying fancy gear to skirt the issue, but to actually cure the issue so I don't have to worry about it. Hence I have a physio appointment booked next week, and once I consult with someone I will probably start going to the gym if it's recommended to start strengthening that area.

If the pack worked for the Swiss army, I'm sure it will work for me. I'm only 27, so I should be able to recover.

And yes, if I'm in the backcountry, and I throw my back out, at least I'll have a nice pack to look at :D

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Mmmm i've got a feeling your not going to get on with this pack, as Cumbrian said, you may have been better off spending more money for a modern, back friendly pack. Something that puts the weight on your hips instead of pulling down on your shoulders. You'll know soon enough i expect.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Looks a good pack and I'm sure it will serve you well! If it doesn't and you still want traditional and are willing to pay an bit extra, I have a frost river isle royale ushcraft pack (the full sized one) and although I haven't given it much use, it is extremely comfortable with the padded buckskin straps and a leather chest strap and waist belt :). I chose it for he looks and quality really, I'll pass it on to my kids one day ;), they'll have to fight me to get it though! ;). Frost river do other canoe packs with head straps aswell if that would help? Anyway, good luck with your back :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
They look quite heavy to me, and how well will the plastic coating last I Guess they are quite old now so the plastic might start to perish

Granite Head

Nomad
Aug 16, 2011
Dublin Mountains
They are heavy. I have one dated 1983 - no sign of the rubberised canvas perishing. Don't use it as much as I had expected, probably due to the weight..........but as someone previously posted, nice to look at :cool:. Got it for around £15 if I recall.

I also have the rubberised / canvas bread bag that goes with it (@£10) - that actually gets quite a bit of use as a bimble / fishing bag.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE