Hi, new here.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 3, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Hi! I'm Annie. I've only very recently gotten into Bushcraft, although I've been into Botany and Geology for a long time which played a part in getting me into Bushcraft. Another part was probably my overly romantic love of English Literature (there are many fantasy stories about characters surviving in the woods and whatnot) and 'closeness' to nature.

I've never gone on a course or anything like that - all the ones I've found the minimum age is 18, I'm 16 right now. So far right now all I've done is read books on the subject.

I joined here to learn more and meet others, mainly. Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Thanks,
Annie.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Hi Annie and welcome to the forum. Nice to have another member in the Yorkshire area. A love of Botany, Geology and reading will serve you well in your bushcraft travels :)

I seem to remember that Leeds Council Countryside Rangers have held bushcraft activities for under 18's before (although the age limit may be lower), something to bear in mind though.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hello and welcome to the forum Annie. Plenty of people on here willing to help and give good advice.
Enjoy your stay.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Hi and welcome annie. Im not certain, but i think woodlore do a junior bushcraft course. Personally ive never done a course either. Most info is available from the good people of this forum and online, that and some perseverance is the best resourses available. Hope you enjoy the sight.

Apr 3, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Wow, thankyou so much for all the welcomes, didn't expect this many!! =3

And I'm definitely going to check out those under-18 courses you mentioned, cheers. :D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hello and welcome to the forum Annie :)

I've never gone on a course or anything like that - all the ones I've found the minimum age is 18, I'm 16 right now. So far right now all I've done is read books on the subject.

If you want to do a course then Frontier Bushcraft do one aimed at juniors 14-17. Link Here

I've been taught by the owner, Paul Kirtley, whilst he was at Woodlore plus other private lessons with him so I can really recommend him as an excellent bushcraft instructor :cool:

Apr 3, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Hello and welcome to the forum Annie :)

If you want to do a course then Frontier Bushcraft do one aimed at juniors 14-17. Link Here

I've been taught by the owner, Paul Kirtley, whilst he was at Woodlore plus other private lessons with him so I can really recommend him as an excellent bushcraft instructor :cool:

Thankyou so much!! Going to save up for it, should be able to in time to book it. :D (I work a part-time job)

The only thing I'm worried about (and slightly ashamed of worrying about!) is not washing and then looking horrible due to not being able to do hair etc :p (It's not long enough to tie up.)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thankyou so much!! Going to save up for it, should be able to in time to book it. :D (I work a part-time job)

The only thing I'm worried about (and slightly ashamed of worrying about!) is not washing and then looking horrible due to not being able to do hair etc :p (It's not long enough to tie up.)

My pleasure :)

As for showers etc there's no reason at all to feel ashamed about worrying about personal hygiene :)

To put your mind at rest there will probably be a camp shower on site for you and other participants to use... for camp shower think canvas bucket with watering rose and tap attached :D

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
Hi there,

Annie - as Mesquite rightly suggests, there will be a camp shower as well as other washing facilities.

Hygiene is also one of the subjects we cover.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to drop us an email.

All the best,

Paul

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
welcome annie and the best advice i have ever had was to go to the bushcraft uk bushmoot and well i have never looked back cos i am now friends with some of these mad but friendly and amazing people and well i wouldnt have it any other way because the moot is trully and ausome experience

for one and all anyways welcome to the forum oh and by the way u will need a perent to come with you to the moot till your eighteen but then u can come buy your self

drew

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I agree with Drew. If your able to get there its well worth the effort. Everyone is friendly and willing to share there knowledge openly. You can learn the basics or even more advanced techniques from some very knowledgable people covering all aspects of bushcraft.

The other alternative is to try meet people from your local area and learn bits from them and share your knowledge with them. Were always learning no matter how old or experienced we are.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Welcome annie. I shouldnt worry too much about your hair just get a realy silly hat and blend in with the rest of us ;)
5f978775-5da1-38a7.jpg

sent from my secret retreat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE