Hi Folks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crystel

Feb 20, 2012
Manchester, UK
Hello, everyone, I'm Crystel, The Ratcatcher's better half. I'm new to the forum, but not to bushcraft. I'm interested in woodcarving, which I did a bit of a few years ago, and I'm looking to improve my skills and make some useful stuff like spoons and bowls. I'll probably go to some local meets if I get the chance, so we might meet sometime. I'm getting some kit and tools together, and look forward to joining in the forum.

Sharon

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sharon ... female ... woodcarving? Is there nothing sacred anymore for us fella to call our own??? :yikes: Next you'll be demanding votes and refusing to wear your corset!

Welcome to the forum Sharon, always nice to see someone's partner coming along here and taking an active role. Good luck with the carving too. Finding tools shouldn't be too difficult but try to avoid buying new stuff and stick to boot fairs and scrabble through those rusty piles of junk. I have found so many decent gouges in those over the years, they're perfect for forming the bowl of a spoon. I get on so much better with them than with a spoon knife. However, if you're dead set on getting a spoon knife, hold fire a bit, I'll be offering one up as a prize in a competition soon. You might get lucky.

top tip. Invest in a flexcut stropping block. Bought one for my own chisels and knives and can honestly say I am amazed I've managed without one all these years. (I'm a carpenter by trade) now all my chisels have mirrored bevels on them and are sharper than I've ever had them.

Here's a short film clip I found showing one in use. Hopefully you can see the benefits of having one.

[video=youtube;vi5BA13Eh30]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi5BA13Eh30[/video]

Welcome again.

Thanks for all the welcomes.

No, Biker, nothing is sacred anymore! I think we got the vote a while ago, and I like my corset.

Crystel

Hi Sharon - I like the cut of your jib! I just joined too, and like you have been bushcrafting for ages - I suppose since I was a tomboyish little girl!!I love carving and whittled away happy hours making Xmas presents last year! I especially enjoyed doing some earrings, I'll post a piccy soon! I have plans to do a kuksa/nogginy type cup for my hubby's 60th. Anyhoo - Welcome from a fellow noob!!
Julie

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE