Hi everyone.Cheap tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moforuss

Aug 22, 2011
luton bedfordshire
Hi everyone,Ok.. i really fancy a go a maybe spoon carving or trying to do a wood spirit.Not had much experience but at the age of 50 i am just starting to get into all things outdoors.Anyway my question.I dont want to spend a huge amount on tools until i decide this is for me,I have been looking at some cheapish chisel sets on ebay.What do you think or can anyone recommend me a cheapish starter set.Many thanks:)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
First of all welcome to the forum. Nice to see someone else local :)

Secondly what's your budget and what have you been looking at on Ebay?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Welcome to BCUK!

Tools are very personal things. Something that floats my boat might not suit you at all and vice versa. Try a few out and get used to them, find what you like about them and what you don't, then go on from there with a bit more knowledge about yourself. Nobody can really do that for you. I'd hesitate to recommend anything expensive to someone who's just starting out with tools. There are some carving sets on sale in Lidl at the moment, I think it worked out at something like 1.50 per tool. I was tempted and I don't do much carving. It's hard to go wrong at those prices, you might have to strop a bit more often and you might not.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
You can do an awful lot with 4 bought and 2 scrounged tools.

1) Saw - just about anything goes from cheap pruning saw to hardpoint panel saw to bow saw. Cost £5 to £50
2) Chopper - An old axe well sharpened up to a new fancy axe. Hatchet sized is best for carving. Cost £5 to £100

You could equally use a billhook with care, or an old kindling chopper (look like an old, oversize cleaver)

3) Knife - Mora Sloyd knife. Cost - £8 to £16
4) Carved edge tool - old gouge well sharpened - £5 to £15. Spoon knives are nice, but a good one is £30+

Scounged tools - chopping block (section of tree trunk - don't worry about type) and beetle (branch shaped to look like a club - used in the back of your chopping tool to split wood).

Cheers

yes spoon carving only needs a Knife and a hollowing tool ( i only use one tool for both now an indian Crooked knife)

assuming you have a saw to cut a branch to length

an axe makes things quicker (if you know how to use it ) but not vital

for a carving knife a Mora 106 is the best bet
a Clipper will do as well and be more use at other outdoor Bushcraft jobs to

then its the bowl Mora Spoon knifes arnt very good out of the box and take a lot of reshaping to get a half decent knife

however you could start with spatulas which dont need a hollow ;)

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE