Hi all

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Hi,
I'm Joe and i've been looking at the forum for a while now, i got to it from the song of the paddle website. Its interesting to read what everyone does, unfortunatly i cant do too much as i'm 14 and my parents wont come with me(something to do with they have done it before and they wont to have a proper toilet and running water, but i cant see the fun in that)and i can go anywhere by myself :( . But i am hoping to be making some things like spoons and stuff when i get round to it. Just not too sure how to make them yet :rolleyes: anyway just a quick hi to everyone

Cheers

Joe

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Hiya and welcome to you ..... Dont worry about getting out and about into the wilds at your age....you have the rest of your life to do that, but there is nothing wrong with a bit of backyard bushcraft to hone those skills :D

:)
Ed

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hi Joe, and welcome to BcUK. :)
Ed is right, there's a lot you can practice close to home, and if your parents have, "been there, done that", they'll at least have some idea of where you're coming from.
Join the conversation and see if you can get to one of the meets, there are quite a few 14/15 year olds on the forum so you'll find relevant discussions in the threads.
atb,
Toddy

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Hi Joe,

I do most of my bushcraft in my garden. Do you have a space like a bit of a shed to call your own?

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Hi and thanks for the warm welcome. I will see if i can get to any of the meets, but its just getting my parents to take me. As for a space in my garden we have 3 sheds at the bottom, theres one thats mostly empty. I have been looking for some wood to make a spoon with, but i have limited tools- a knife thats not too sharp on a multi tool. What are the best tool to start off with?

Thanks again,

Joe

beowolf762

Settler
Sep 4, 2005
U.P. Michigan
Hi JoeG,
Howdy and welcome!!
The first skill I would learn is to sharpen your knife. :) Trying to carve with a dull knife is an accident waiting to happen.

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
hi joe i am pretty much in the same boat as you as i too am 14, but i am a bit more lucky as my parents like car camping. anyway have you got a local woods where you could practice, no camping or fires but somewere you could ID trees and plants and do a bit of foraging
leon

JoeG

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2006
Nottingham
Hi,
I've been looking at ways of sharpening a knife, and i'm looking out for a cheap one as my moneys going on amateur radio and canoeing :rolleyes: But i dont know about the local woods, i think there might be some that i can go on and camp, but i dont know if the person owns that land, plus its only a short bike ride away. There is Colwick Park, but i never really go down there. I am hoping to get a couple of books on bushcraft, but i need to go into town(Yippy :( ) for that.

Cheers

Joe

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
JoeG said:
Hi and thanks for the warm welcome. I will see if i can get to any of the meets, but its just getting my parents to take me. As for a space in my garden we have 3 sheds at the bottom, theres one thats mostly empty. I have been looking for some wood to make a spoon with, but i have limited tools- a knife thats not too sharp on a multi tool. What are the best tool to start off with?
I use the knife sharpener that is in my kitchen for kitchen knives. I have 2 multi tool knives. One sharpenned easily. The other seemed to take ages but finally felt sharp. It can depend on the shape of the sharp edge looked at really close.

I set out twice this year to make a spoon with my multi tool, a saw and an axe only. And yes, I have failed twice. But you live an learn and I am improving. I learnt this weekend to use fire to hollow out the bowl - amazing idea.

I get wood mostly from either thrown out furniture or construction timber for things in the house. Skips in the street are another potential source. Also having a word with your local park keeper (if there is one) might lead you to a wood pile. Any bushes or trees in the garden? Prunings from such like can have a multitude of uses.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Welcome Joe,

I think something you may find rewarding (as I do) is to spend a few hours walking in your local woods - get some books out of the library to ID fauna (I am starting with the big stuff - trees and mammals). I walk there for an hour or so at different times of the day and get a different 'feel' at those times. As you are now on holiday maybe this is something you could do alone if your folks will let you.

As for starting out with the kit - Ray Mears said the first time was with a plastic sheet, Don Whillans went climbing with a clothes line!!! Not that I condone this, but we all have to start somewhere. When you get back to school, ask if your tech teacher does a lunch time club and do spoons on the hegner saw! It's an idea....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE