Hi all - help a Newbie?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hullblazer

Jun 9, 2016
Hastings, UK
I have recently got into EDC equipment and, having two kids, am fed up with my pockets being full of weverything you need.

I want to leather-work my own pouches and sheathes and have the basic equipment for the task. However, I need to practice and even scraps of Fleabay are priced to a point where I'm reluctant to use them for practice.

Where do you guys source your leather? Do I really have to wait until Dad throws away his old sofas?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello and welcome.

Leather's always expensive unless you chance on a lucky find.
We can recommend suppliers, but none of them sell the skins for buttons.

You do know that sheaths and pouches don't need to be made of leather though ? Canvas that's layered up and waxed works very well.
I know someone who makes sheaths and pouches out of canvas and then soaks them in resin. Beautiful work and it's very sound and long lasting in use.

If you don't have one material, just think outside the box :D

cheers,
Toddy

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Good advice above, and another good tip for you; get around all the charity shops you can reach from where you live/work, you can get vast amounts for peanuts if you haunt them regularly. Get to know the people that run them and let them know what you're after and they'll often save stuff for you.

Handbags and other briefcase-type bags, wallets and purses, long leather boots and all sorts of other things yield very good leather by times, but always something good enough to practice with.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Yep , the charity shops are brilliant for that...
I had to stop myself from buying a(great quality) brown suede jacket at the weekend from a charity shop. They wanted £20 for it , I reckon it could've made 2 pairs of moccasins and quite a few pouches...
It's just time and obviously quite a bit of skill . Charity shops do occasionally have the best bargains...

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Do I really have to wait until Dad throws away his old sofas?

Foraging is where you find it :)
Charity shops only put the good stuff on the rail so get to know the staff and let them know you're after any leather no matter how tatty. Freecycle/ Freegle online groups are also worth joining and most towns have a furniture recycling charity. Rerun in Hull for instance has an entire green leather 3pc suite for £60. As with charity shops they are picky about what goods they accept so have a word with them, they may have a pile of stuff out back to be skipped that may be useful. Councils charge to remove large items like old sofa's so if you see one you like the look of in a front garden and have access to a vehicle then just knock on the door, it never hurts to ask.

Hullblazer

Jun 9, 2016
Hastings, UK
I am so chuffed, thank you all! Several options I had never even thought of!

Living in Hastings, we have a plethora of charity shops - two even in my skirting village. I'll start foraging AND I'll further research the canvas idea; if it's strong enough for tents/sails it'll be strong enough to hold a phone, Svord Peasant, tissues and suntan lotion!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE