Hey Everyone!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Liam1811

Banned
Mar 10, 2009
Kent, England
Hey, my name is Liam. I have recently become interested in Bushcraft, although haven't really done much before. Only the odd time with the cubs/ scouts although that doesn't really count too much as bushcraft. Just wanted to meet people who share the same interests.

How did you start? How old were you when you started? What kit can you start with as a beginner? Is there anyway to combine fishing and bushcraft as I do enjoy fishing also? Any great places to go? etc..

Thanks a great deal! Kindest Regards and also I am 16 and therefore cannot get too far around at the moment to be honest.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome!
I started in childhood, (living in the countryhelps!) basically just enjoying the countryside as my playground. As to kit - you need very little and if you are into fishing you probably have most of it anyway!
Clothing and boots to keep you warm and dry, a bag to carry a bit of kit in, a simple pot (from the kitchen or charity shop) and a spoon to eat with, a sleeping bag or warm blanket to sleep in and perhaps a tent/tarp to sleep under.
A ground mat helps for he sleeping side of things... and some kind of knife to prepare your fire and food is almost essential realy
You do not need to spend much and if you have been a scout you probably have what you need to start off with. The "uniform" kit is not essential at all - though as you get into the game you may like the look of some more expensive kit :)
Making your own is always an option (one I enjoy...) and as to combining Bushcraft with fishing - it is a partnership made in heaven!
Sitting by your campfire eating freshcooked frh caught fish....bring it on!
Have fun!
John

Liam1811

Banned
Mar 10, 2009
Kent, England
Thanks for the great help there. T'is a shame though, because I do not leave far out int he countryside as such, slightly but not too far and my parents and none of my friends as far as I know are into that kinda stuff, but who knows I'll have to ask them. Arghhh..yess Fishing and Bushcraft, sounds PERFECT!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Liam - welcome to the forum

John's mentioned some good stuff to get you started, try having a look at Rikuk3`s thread about kit on a budget for some good ideas.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Liam and welomce to the forum,
The easiest means of combining fishing and a bit of bushcraft is to make yourself a hobo stove. Something to keep the fire off the ground,over which you can make fresh cuppa's and some hot food. Before you know it you'll be a dab hand at fire lighting and scouring the hedgerows for natural ingredients.

Anyway, enjoy your time here.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and Welcome to BCUK Liam,

You won't go far wrong from following John's & Ogri's advice.
Just get out there and enjoy yourself!

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
hi liam
i have not bean doing bushcraft long myself, like john said you can make most of your kit yourself, i started by making my own stove set and billy can, i can use meths, wood, jel or hexi blocks on it, i just used old tins and cans to make it. now im making containers and little sacks to store stuff. you just need to bye a knife, boots, tarp, torch and bag for now, everything els you need just add it as you go along. you have clothes already, i use a blanket as my sleeping system.
you could bye lots of fancey stuff, but i believe that bushcraft is being able to live with what you have and to be able to use it for the things you need. making your own gear is so rewarding and its fun, it keeps you thinking and it become more personal to you.

anyway have fun and welcome

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE