Hexi to esbit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Sadly running short of my favourite hexi and haven’t used esbit tablets for many many years. Does anyone still use esbit and what is it like compared to my faithful hexi ?

Please don’t mention dragon fuel as an alternative, hate it, rubbish

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
As far as I know Esbit tablets are hexamine. US military has during ages apparently used hexamine and mixture of hexamine/trioxane.

Hexamine is a fairly useful industrial chemical but as a best guess it is going to be phased out of the civilian market quite soon. A bit like one cannot buy large amounts of Aspirin.

There were recently some Esbit packets at Leka so I bought a few.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
As far as I know Esbit tablets are hexamine. US military has during ages apparently used hexamine and mixture of hexamine/trioxane.

Hexamine is a fairly useful industrial chemical but as a best guess it is going to be phased out of the civilian market quite soon. A bit like one cannot buy large amounts of Aspirin.

There were recently some Esbit packets at Leka so I bought a few.
That would be a shame find hexi so easy and useful to carry and use.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Truly, truly do not wish to start a war but the smell of hexi, ugg nauh, bad, evil. Even now as I type it is leaving a bad taste. What is so wrong with Dragon gel then?

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The packets left behind, tried it it’s just not the same or as good for me. Like the smell of hexi, never ever bothered me, wind takes most of it away. Like hexi I can pack loads of broken hexi bits in a bag and feed the stove from these bits when needed. Never leaves plastic packets I have to take home and much more. Burns good for me and lights easy.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Get the point about the packets but tend to use more "loose" gel. While the wind may take some hexi smell, it (to me) it is still some where on the planet and affecting me.

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
At the moment I am "converting" some simple hexamine stoves to gelled alcohol by fastening a small metal cup inside. The main problem seems to be to find a proper size bottle for the alcohol so it fits inside the space meant for the tablets.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I can't imagine that they close the gates of the Esbit factory.
The stuff is issued in the German army.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
It will still be issued for the military and be used industrially. The problem is that hexamine is one easy step away from RDX.

BumblingAlong

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
Winchester
For ease of transport and so I'm not totally dependent on meths I've been using Coghlans solid fuel tablets hexamine tablets x 24 at £6.50 a box. They are lightweight, excellent for boiling water (one tab only) but can leave external residues. Occasionally I get a 4 box deal for £19.99 which really is good value. They can be used two at a time for simple cooking but anything beyond fried eggs would be back to the meths. Leave the Dragon on the shelf

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE