Hexi Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
OK everyone, I'd appreciate some advice.
It's about hexi-stoves. I've never actually owned one. I often hear that they taint the taste of the food (will be cooking in a pan or billy on top of the stove, if that makes a difference). Is that true? And can you get hexi blocks that don'ttaint the taste. Also, how long do the blocks burn for? And any other info you think I should know.
I'm not thinking of having one as a main stove, just an 'occasional' stove to take with me when out for a walk/ride. With that in mind how would you rate them, out of ten, keeping in mind size, efficiency, and all those kind of things.

Cheers.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Now that's a good idea!
So you just strike the firestarter and use that as the fuel?
We have loads of them at home as well. I like that.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
'Hexi' - hexamine (hexamethylene tetramine) - is pretty vile smelling stuff. I've burnt it in a stove and model steam engine, but never cooked with it.

I've mentioned in another thread that it smells like smouldering meths drinkers underpants!

'Meta' fuel - metaldehyde - is much nicer smelling and cleaner burning, but I never see it for sale now.

Jim

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Mmm...interesting.
I like Hillbill's idea.
Makes me wonder what other fuels people use in their hexi burners.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Now that's a good idea!
So you just strike the firestarter and use that as the fuel?
We have loads of them at home as well. I like that.

Yeah pretty much, very simple to use. Just protect them from the wind until they get going properly, they are not as readily flamable as hexy or normal firelighters. But once lit they are much better than both. I always carry a couple in my fire kit too, just in case. Very handy at getting fires going in the wet. They are waterproof with the wax. Always shield hexy cookers from the wind or you lose a lot of efficiency. I carry a very light aluminium wind shield with my hexi stove. One of these.... They don't weigh much more than an empty drinks can

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-folding-aluminium-windscreen/COREACCEZHG300

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I am not sure that the hexy taints food. It might make the surrounding air smell and that might stick in your nose. I would have thought that the food in the mess tin should be OK.

Wood fires tend to leave everything tasting of smoke but again I suspect that is because every part of me is kippered from the inevitable smoke plume which is attracted to a campfire chef... even if you think you're sitting upwind ;-)

Cheers,
Steve

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
OK everyone, I'd appreciate some advice.
It's about hexi-stoves. I've never actually owned one. I often hear that they taint the taste of the food (will be cooking in a pan or billy on top of the stove, if that makes a difference). Is that true? And can you get hexi blocks that don'ttaint the taste. Also, how long do the blocks burn for? And any other info you think I should know.
I'm not thinking of having one as a main stove, just an 'occasional' stove to take with me when out for a walk/ride. With that in mind how would you rate them, out of ten, keeping in mind size, efficiency, and all those kind of things.

Cheers.

i've sent you a pm

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Probably. They are made of fine shavings and saw dust soaked in wax and pressed. Make sure you taper one end or they take a bit to light.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
If you cook in a Crusader-type cup then you can ditch the stove itself. Back in the days I wore green, I used to carry 3 6" nails. Push them into the ground to make a simple tripod, place mug on top, light Hex underneath.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Mmmmm....really not a hexi fan. Reminds me of being on exercise.

Not sure why we persist with these when there are more efficient and effective alternatives. Most of us have binned these in favour of v small gas stoves or Jetboils, or carry a team MSR.

And, if you think Jetboils are too big, remember that it all fits in the cooking pot. With a hexi, you still need mess tins or a cooking pot. There's really not that much in it.

They were fine when there was nothing else but, if a choice is available, I just don't see them being worth the effort.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
If you cook in a Crusader-type cup then you can ditch the stove itself. Back in the days I wore green, I used to carry 3 6" nails. Push them into the ground to make a simple tripod, place mug on top, light Hex underneath.

i'd have thought the nails weigh more than the stove myself.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE