Here's a pic for the pro-nuclear to enjoy.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Taken this morning, a vapour cloud from an NPS 30 km away.

DSCF6988-1.jpg

" I love the smell of radio- active steam in the morning " :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Steam? Yes. Radioactive - no more than any water is in the UK (apart from Cornwall, which is much more radioactive)...

Coal-fired power stations generate much more radioactivity into the surrounding countryside than nuclear ones do - strange but interesting fact:)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Steam? Yes. Radioactive - no more than any water is in the UK (apart from Cornwall, which is much more radioactive)...

Coal-fired power stations generate much more radioactivity into the surrounding countryside than nuclear ones do - strange but interesting fact:)

Yeah, the OP is probably a lot more radioactive than that cloud.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... (apart from Cornwall, which is much more radioactive)...

why's that then?

Granite. The rock of Cornwall contains relatively more naturally radioactive elements (mostly uranium and thorium I think).

These elements slowly decay (very slowly, which is why they're still kicking around after the Big Bang, billions of years ago) and some of the decay products are also radioactive. One of the most important decay product is Radon, which is a gas and can collect in poorly ventilated spaces. It's dangerous to breathe it in because it can cause cancer. After smoking I believe it's the second or third most important cause of lung cancer, depending on the local use of asbestos products.

People like to test for radon when houses are bought and sold in Cornwall, see for example

http://www.cornwallradon.co.uk/

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Taken this morning, a vapour cloud from an NPS 30 km away.

DSCF6988-1.jpg

" I love the smell of radio- active steam in the morning " :)
wow thats scary, the last time i looked at the operators manual for my camera i was sure that it took pictures not measured radiation levels. Most cooling towers produce lots of steam if the conditions are right, normally from water that has had no contact with any radioactive source at all........scaremongering at its best

PS. have seen more steam from the gas and coal fired powerstation at Didcot.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I used to live on an island in the Clyde, opposite Hunterston nuclear power plant. The plant was water cooled, so periodically would have to vent steam. You'd be out and about, then hear a sort of explosive roar, and look across to Hunterston to see a huge mushroom cloud (of vapour) over it.

Until it had happened a few times and you got used to it, the instinctive reaction was to stare in horror and think "That's it, I'm dead. These are my last seconds"

Once you were used to it you barely noticed, except to laugh at the expressions on the faces of those who hadn't seen it before. :lmao:

Curiously, the marie biological station that I worked at got a large proportion of its funding from Hunterston, in trying to find ways to avoid sucking up millions of jellyfish at jellyfish bloom time, as they clogged the water intakes and overheated the plant, causing it to shut down.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
yep "great picture" however no scientific backing to the caption unless the caption was badly composed oilseed rape and condensating steam

"wow thats scary, the last time i looked at the operators manual for my camera i was sure that it took pictures not measured radiation levels. Most cooling towers produce lots of steam if the conditions are right, normally from water that has had no contact with any radioactive source at all........scaremongering at its best"

WOW that's scary, last time i looked you'd lost your sense of irony

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
No one else find it ironic that a photo taken by, a camera/phone charged using nuke power, is then transferred onto a computer/online storage running on nuke power, then transferred to the internet using a router connected to nuke power, for the op to then put said photo on a forum on a device running/charged on nuke power, THEN in some sort of half arsed attempt to criticise nuke power?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
No one else find it ironic that a photo taken by, a camera/phone charged using nuke power, is then transferred onto a computer/online storage running on nuke power, then transferred to the internet using a router connected to nuke power, for the op to then put said photo on a forum on a device running/charged on nuke power, THEN in some sort of half arsed attempt to criticise nuke power?

What ^ said.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
"wow thats scary, the last time i looked at the operators manual for my camera i was sure that it took pictures not measured radiation levels. Most cooling towers produce lots of steam if the conditions are right, normally from water that has had no contact with any radioactive source at all........scaremongering at its best.
Unless you live on the East coast of Japan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE