"Here, borrow my knife" + how to make use of scrap! lol

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi
None of these tales of woe surprises me
We live in a throw away society
Teaching of practical skills in schools is woeful
Even the simplist of maintenance tasks is devolved to “experts”

Sorry if this sounds like a rant
Gaz

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
As has been said many people who don’t use tools often don’t understand what can damage them or is appropriate use, as Gaz said the throwaway society we live in also means many don’t care.

We do have something of a reverential relationship with our tools that many simply can’t fathom and I’ve lost count of the times I’ve left people dumbfounded when I tell them what a knife, axe, saw or other tool cost - don’t get me started on my kitchen knives!

I’m always happy to help out friends or family if they need something but have a number of cheaper tools that I have shelved in favour of the ones I now use myself for that purpose.

Want an axe to chop firewood? Here’s my old reprofiled B&Q hatchet

Want to try out carving? Sure here’s one of my Mora’s

Need a saw? I have an old bow saw in the back of the shed

I will make a few suggestions on how to use them and what to do/ it to do but if they get busted up so be it.
I’m usually more concerned about people not understanding the safety aspect of how these things are used and tend to stress that a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi
None of these tales of woe surprises me
We live in a throw away society
Teaching of practical skills in schools is woeful
Even the simplist of maintenance tasks is devolved to “experts”

Sorry if this sounds like a rant
Gaz

I totally agree, it’s unfortunate that modern society has gone down the route of disposability and the general lack of interest in practical skills that has produced.
There’s no getting away from it that the majority’s first thought is to replace something (usually something perfectly serviceable) rather than repair or even maintain it.

I don’t think it helps that many of the new commonplace items - computers, cars, home appliances are being manufactured in such a manner that the layman can’t repair or maintain them even if they wanted to - I think this mentality naturally crosses over to the other items where things like basic sharpening, oiling when being stored etc.... as they aren’t skills that are generally taught any more.

I know a lot of this is done under the guise of “safety” as we now live in a world we’re everyone is assumed to be an idiot until proven otherwise it my cynical mind says in reality it’s simply a way to squeeze a bit more money out everyone.

Rant over

Back to the OP I do like to see a bit of recycling/up cycling and shows that even when something is actually broken it can be repurposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
We are in a ‘replace’ not ‘repair’ society.

Most recently designed things can not be repaired as many of the components are made from weak plastic, or the whole product is ‘sealed for life’.

I bought a Nespresso Vertuoline about 2 years ago. Packed up after 13 months.
As outside the warranty, I had to buy a new one. The only way to assess if it could be repaired was to send it to USA to be taken apart. At my cost.
Cheaper to buy a new one.
I took it apart, and found the pump did not work. POS.

I did keep some of the screws though. Might be handy in the future!

Reactions: Hammock Hamster

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE