Herbal flu remedies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Having been absolutely hammered by the flu virus this winter, i've been reading up on herbal remedies and foods that can ward the flu off.

One book i read advised that everyday herbs, such as sage, rosemary, lavender have antiviral properties, but unfortunately the book did not advise on how to prepare them for use.

Can anyone recommend and good herbal concoctions?

I have also heard that green tea and Elderberries are excellent for fighting the flu. This summer i intend on making some elderberry cordial and elderberry whiskey to keep close to hand for next winter, or may just try and preserve the fruit as it is, and have a spoonful every day!

Does anyone know an effective way of preserving the whole elderberry?

cheers

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
When I get a cold/flu I go mad on the herbal/spicey stuff and I swear it works very well. Phsychosematic or not, it doesn't matter.

Turmeric powder-great for killing bacteria and helping with sore throats.

Ginger- I eat the crystallized stuff. Its not great tasting to me but a proven anti-viral. Its thermogenic too.

Chicken soup- another proven cold remedy, it really works.

Garlic- An immune system booster amongst other things, also helps food digestion. Also helps avoid getting a cold in the first place. It must be left to oxidise before use if its fresh to get the maximum benefit from the active ingredient in it.

Chocolate-great for relieving and helping sore throats.

I'll chew on some ginger whilst cooking the chicken soup, add some turmeric and garlic to the soup and also an egg dropped in. Plenty of herbs get put in too; parsely, thyme and rosemary.

Last edited:

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Having been absolutely hammered by the flu virus this winter, i've been reading up on herbal remedies and foods that can ward the flu off.

One book i read advised that everyday herbs, such as sage, rosemary, lavender have antiviral properties, but unfortunately the book did not advise on how to prepare them for use.

Can anyone recommend and good herbal concoctions?

I have also heard that green tea and Elderberries are excellent for fighting the flu. This summer i intend on making some elderberry cordial and elderberry whiskey to keep close to hand for next winter, or may just try and preserve the fruit as it is, and have a spoonful every day!

Does anyone know an effective way of preserving the whole elderberry?

cheers

I usually keep my Vit C topped up.

http://www.patrickholford.com/index.php/blog/blogarticle/420/

Antiviral drugs, such as Tamiflu (oseltamivir), work by inhibiting something called neuraminidase, produced by viruses and essential for their ability to replicate. So too does vitamin C according to recent research. This study tested the effects of a combination of ascorbic acid, green tea extract, lysine, proline, N-acetyl cysteine, selenium among other micronutrients on cells infected with influenza. This combination was also tested in a study on cells infected with bird flu, in many respects similar to swine flu. According to the authors the nutrient mixture “demonstrated high antiviral activity evident even at prolonged periods after infection. Antiviral properties were comparable to those of conventional drugs (amantadine and oseltamivir); however, the nutrient mixture had the advantage of affecting viral replication at the late stages of the infection process.” Unlike the drugs, there are no significant side-effects. The effect of vitamin C alone was less than that of the combination of nutrients and, in combination, moderate doses of vitamin C exerted a significant anti-viral effect.
The other nutrients given included the amino acids lysine, proline, N-acetyl cysteine, and selenium. N-acetyl cysteine and selenium both promote glutathione levels within cells, which has anti-viral activity. The mineral zinc, in doses of 50 to 100mg a day, has also proved to be anti-viral and is available in lozenges for coughs and colds as found in one study. I recommend half this level in zinc lozenges, for short-term use only. On a daily basis, as prevention, I recommend supplementing 15mg a day. Supplementing this amount of zinc has been shown in recent research to make the body’s T cells much more effective, hence boosting immunity.

xylaria

Nettles anti-viral lectins. The stuff the last bloke said; turmeric, garlic, ginger and chicken stock all good stuff. Make curry with lot of them together. If you cant manage that the top leaves of a loose cup of nettles, and some grated ginger and some lemon jiuce. pour on hot water and steep for five minutes, drain keep the plants for next cup, and drink.

Liquorice [the proper stuff not flavoured sweets] is another one, esspecially if you get doozer that knocks you for six. there is a tea that can be got from tescos.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Probably the best advice would be to just get your fly shot. However If you're determined to keep it herbal I'll +1 on the spices (especially chilis)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Dunno about herbal, but i usually drink a massive jug of fresh orange juice and a bottle of single malt.
Feel rough the morning after, but better by the afternoon.

My logic is, the orange gives my vitamin C, the single malt clears up my throat.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Caffeen and pain killers to relieve symptoms, alcohol when none of the rest are working and you just need to pass-out. Vit C in any form and plenty of water.
Works for me.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
its supprising how often amounts/dosages/concentrations are left out of natural remedy recommendations

xylaria

its supprising how often amounts/dosages/concentrations are left out of natural remedy recommendations

Well it isnt really, licorice in its natural state has a taste you can only have so much of. Nettles your body will tell you when you have had enough. Likewise there only so much raw ginger it is possible to swollow as the taste is very strong. It is when we dont listen to our bodies, or concentrate or purify that we get out of kilter doses. Saying that there is always exceptions, I read of poisoning where some bloke managed to consume over half a kilo of sorrel in one sitting by making soup. it must of tasted vile.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Some good suggestions thanks for the input!

Is there any way of cobining all the antiviral / anticold ingredients mentioned above in to a syrup? I.e. get the ginger, garlic, rosemary, thyme, lavender, turmeric, lemon juice (and of course whiskey!) and blend it all togther somehow....?

I would imagine it would taste absolutely rank but surely would obliterate your flu symptoms!!

I could hack the taste if it would speed up recovery.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Some good suggestions thanks for the input!

Is there any way of cobining all the antiviral / anticold ingredients mentioned above in to a syrup? I.e. get the ginger, garlic, rosemary, thyme, lavender, turmeric, lemon juice (and of course whiskey!) and blend it all togther somehow....?

I would imagine it would taste absolutely rank but surely would obliterate your flu symptoms!!

I could hack the taste if it would speed up recovery.

The best way I could think of was chewing ginger whilst cooking chicken soup . Then washing it down with whiskey, honey and lemon juice. The soup tastes great to me with turmeric, garlic and thyme. Its not actually a bad meal :)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
elder berries can be turned into a fruit leather for the winter....

nettle tips with some orange or lemon juice topper up with some daisy leaves which are full of vitamin C.

honey with lemon is good for a sore throat. the honey is anti bacterial....

hope this helps....;)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
so no one knows if there is a book out there with the relevant herbs and how to prepare them regards dave:confused:

xylaria

I have just did a talk with the local mother union. Peolpe in the past just past remedies from generation to generation. most home remedies are for aleivating suffering for ills a doctor unless you are going into serious illness [cardio/resportory failure] tell you to treat at home anyway. A quick googling on google scolar well tell anyone that is interested that high vit C, nettles, termuric, licorice, garlic, ginger, elderberries etc arent without any form of basis. even a whiskey gargle will kill what bugalugs is living at the back of the throat.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE