Punkwood wanted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi guys.....

I am after a reasonable quantity of soft blas like punkwood...you know the stuff thats useless :)

I know that sounds weird, but if I dry it in the glass houses over winter it makes excellent fuel for the bee smoker and has less harmful nasties than using corrugated card that I am using at present.

If anyone could send me a box full (large as you like :)) I'm sure I can work out a trade for:

Heirloom gardening seeds if you are into that
A big box of fresh herbs - most types catered ...Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Chive, Welsh Onion, Chamomile etc.
Prefer some fresh veg? Well I can supply fresh garlic, onions, Green beans, parsnip, carrot ...pick your own if you like :)

Or of course, I can sort out something bushy!

Red

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Cant you use wood shavings Red? Dampen em up a bit like you do when adding to coals to smoke food? Bit of charcoal, handful of damp shavings, smokes away. :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Can do, but wood shavings I have :) Punkwood is really porous and light and smoulders really well.....

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Can't help with the punkwood im afraid mate. I'll think on it, just in case you dont get sorted there may be other alternatives. I'm in the woods felling an ash and a cherry this weekend so i'll keep an eye out for you. Those pineberries are ready to go now too. :)

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
There is a punked stump near me with the consistency of cheesecake. I was able to slice it into neat chunks with my pocket knife. After I had dried it for a month it smouldered really quite well.

I don't know if the stump is still there.

What are the ethics of going back for second helpings of a stump that does not belong to you?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hmmmm - I'd not want to encourage denuding an area or anything even a bit dodgy!

Hopefully someone with a permission of their own woods may be able to spare a little.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have permission to do the felling and such, it is at the request of the landowner where i shoot. Axe and crosscut job :) I kinda manage those woods on my own as he don't use them for anything. I've coppiced all the hazels and a good few sycamore for him for firewood and me for charcoal. Cleared a couple of areas where the trees were packed too close to allow them to grow out better, built a bridge over a stream etc. Love it there. :)

He's just given me permission to introduce some fruit bushes in there aswell. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE