Herb Robert what to do with it?

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I've set myself a challenge to learn all the plant life in my local woods and while I've nailed almost all the trees I've moved onto flowering plants. Now since doing this I've come across Herb Robert and while for years I've just considered this a weed in my garden there appears to be many medical claims but little detail on usage apart from putting the leaves in a mug for tea or using in salads? There are also claims that it makes a good insect repellent as well as repelling rabbits and dear.

Does anyone have any real experience with using this plant?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
My only real knowledge of it was eating a fair bit of it, especially a couple of years ago.when particularly skint and I was pretty much living off of wild local herbage.
Is quite tasty and looks colourful in a salad when it has turned red. Found it pretty bland as.a tea though.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's usually used as dried leaves. Those are made into a tea and drunk daily. It helps heal the gut, it encourages the bowel to work properly. It also works on mouth ulcers and helps clear sore throats. It seems to make the kidneys work more easily too, and continuous use (one cup a day) seems to make everything heal a little more quickly.

I know there are huge claims for cancer cures from it; I'm always incredibly dubious about these. If they worked why the hang are we spending billions on cancer research and treatment ?

Used fresh, it's not a pleasant smell, but rubbed on the skin it discourages biting insects (if you have Gale nearby, better using that if you don't like the smell)

Dried leaves, just a good pinch rubbed up in the palms and then steeped in boiled water for maybe ten minutes, strain and drink. It's not horrible or bitter like feverfew (even if that is a superb headache stopper)

Bound to be others along who make more use of it than I do. It's a weed in my garden, like feverfew and St John's wort, just there when I need it :)

M

p.s. cheers for that Colin, I'll give it a shot in my salad :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE