what to do with birch polymore

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hi all,

I recently pick up a pretty big birch polymore(?) fungus and am wondering what I can do with it.

What's the best way to proccess it for tinder?

Any other uses people could suggest?

I've heard sharpening a knife from somewhere but how to go about it and is it worth the time?

I also have a vafue memory of an episode of uncle Ray using it to make a natural plaster?
but i would assume it needs to be fresh for this purpose?

all advice or suggestions appricated.

Atb,
Stephen

p.s.: mods, please move if not posted in the right place.

dennydrewcook

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
maidstone
birch polypore an be used as plasters fresh. dried it is good as a strop. this gives it it's other name razor strop fungus.
Also edible fresh and said to be good in teas but from Experience it may be good for you but it tastes vile in a tea. would probably make a good soup thickener though?

denny 😊

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
before it gets too dry, slice it into 3-4mm thick strips, then dry the strips for use as "ember extenders" or in other words, something to keep your ember alive when lighting a fire with flint and steel or a friction set.

The traditional method was to treat the strips with saltpetre but I've never bothered with that and the strips always work well.

The flesh does indeed make a good strop material and you can also use it when leather working, as a support for your leather when using an awl. The awl goes through the leather and into the polypore, rather than into a bench or your hand/leg etc.

You need to watch for the flesh being eaten away by tiny little beatles/larvae, presumably something lays it eggs in the polypore and the off spring tunnel around inside it till they're ready to move on or whatever. Either way, if you're not careful, you end up with more less a crust and a load powder!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE