Help with locations Sheffield / Peak District

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wannabefree

Life Member
Aug 22, 2004
kent
Can anyone help with locations of suitable campsites near Sheffield? I live in Kent and daughter and partner, who have moved to Sheffield, invited me to camp with them this coming Bank Holiday weekend. I would like to propose a 'proper' site i.e. not a commercial electric this and that with clubhouse type site! Childrens education is an ongoing thing!!!!
Ideal would be not too remote from pub, sorry mean civilization, and the permission for campfire would be heaven.
Tall order I know but any help or ideas would be most welcome.

S

shaunmcdonald

Hi wannabefree we use a site inbetween bakewell and monyash at a place called Haddon grove. It is not a commercial site and only has basic facilities. We have used it for the last 10 years and if you are prepared to keep your fire of the floor I.E. in a BBQ and take your own wood you shoukld be fine. It has large fields for tents so there is always lots of space to camp with a group. Inbetween the fields are a few trees which seem to keep our kids amused.
If you are wanting to do abit of walking there are a few nice walks around and lathkildale is only at the bottom of the site which has a small water fall.
If you are there May bankholiday we will see you there :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Not too sure if there is anything up Whancliffe crags way, I'm coming back to the area at the moment so I'm not too sure. I used to camp over by Oughtibridge at the reservoirs back in the day, but I now realise that what I was doing was in fact very naughty! :rolleyes: No camping allowed on the reservoir sites, unfortunately.

Good luck with finding somewhere.

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
theres lots of little site around but from what shaunmcdonald said about monyash it sounds a good little place, wonder why i've never found it, think a trip out is in order :rolleyes: :D

shaunmcdonald what are the rates for the site?

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
There is this site: http://takeoneonion.org/archives/000238.html

North Lees near Hathersage. Nice site but no fires allowed. You may be abit late for bank holiday as its really popular with climbers, give them a call.

I have spent the last few years whenever I am in the Peaks searching for the illusive campsite which allows fires and isn't a caravan site. To date I have never found it :( If anyone knows of one it will make my year!!!

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Used to be a nice basic site in youlgreave, not sure if its still open. A couple on nice local pubs in the village.We often stay at the farmyard inn.

wannabefree

Life Member
Aug 22, 2004
kent
Astounded at the quick response from everyone. Thanks a lot. Apologies if I don't ackowledge everyone individually so please accept this as a global thanks.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Another vote for Haddon Grove. It's right on top of Lathkill Dale, one of the nicest of the dales in the area, good walks and good pubs (The Lathkill in Over Haddon). Three geocaches nearby, plently to explore.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
i stayed in a place called the wild boar inn. quite small - about 20 odd pitches. allowed fires off the ground. they supply paving slabs but we used a bbq. used wood from around the edges of the site for firewood. did the job nicely. defo recommended

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE