Help with cooking

I could be wrong, but I think maybe slate may split with the heat.....worth a try thought!

Smoggy...

There is a restaurant in west Wales that serves it's food on heated slate 'plates' so the risk of exploding in fires should be minimal if they are not placed in soaking wet or freezing cold.

Using one for cooking should be the same as using a gridle or bake stone - I've cooked steak and eggs on them no problem and burgers if they are thin should cook through before the slate cools

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Slate is ok to cook on as is a good flat rock. you need something at least an inch thick and if its going to split its more than likely to split if it cools to quickly

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
I cook for the family on an open fire.
I have practised this over the years both outdoors and in when the power is off.
Cooking always takes longer than conventional methods and this is no bad thing.
For the future you can poke around the charity shops and buy cooking equipment for a few pence. A small pan, pot or casserole (with a lid is better) is all you need for you and your friend to have a good meal.
If me and my pal are out for a days fishing, a hearty soup, pre made at home and carried in a freezer bag, does for us. Just warm it through in a small slow burning fire.
For longer exscursions into known territory then I carry a catapult for squirrel, pigeon and other game. This of course means you will have to learn new skills in preparing wild food. But thats the fun is it not? Being outdoors, relying on ones self and the bouniful country side. (Just dont get caught poaching)

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
I was thinking about your original question and my own adventures at 16 years old. Most of which I'll skip and come to the point: Beanfeast. A dried mixture of processed sh , stuff and dried vegetables. Simply mix with water and simmer. The thing I remebered most about this product was the ability to stimulate the Gastro Intestinal Tract to produce huge amounts of waste gas. Normally I would advise you against using such an unwholesome product but, at the age of 16, 17, 18, the resultant gas seemed to both deter midges (on the shore of Loch Tay in the village of Killin) and warm the tent as well as provide gross humour and disgust for those camping down wind.
Just a thought.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I was thinking about your original question and my own adventures at 16 years old. Most of which I'll skip and come to the point: Beanfeast. A dried mixture of processed sh , stuff and dried vegetables. Simply mix with water and simmer. The thing I remebered most about this product was the ability to stimulate the Gastro Intestinal Tract to produce huge amounts of waste gas. Normally I would advise you against using such an unwholesome product but, at the age of 16, 17, 18, the resultant gas seemed to both deter midges (on the shore of Loch Tay in the village of Killin) and warm the tent as well as provide gross humour and disgust for those camping down wind.
Just a thought.

:lmao: :lmao: My mate takes beanfeast out with him, and its all true!

I eat like a king when in the woods. Try a simple banock mix and add choizo/salami, split in half when done and add cheese to melt through. woodland Pizza on a sat night with a fire and good company, priceless :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Beanfeast is a sin against nature!
When I was in Ghana it was the staple in our rations and it made me so ill I could not eat it.
I lost 2 stone in a month (no bad thing in itself) and then was evacuated home with intestinal problems (probably due to the nasties in the water not the dreaded Beanfeast).
Disgusting stuff - almost as bad as McDougals dehydrated "food"!

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
To cook beans in the tin just open the can and put in the fire at the edge. Use a pot grabber (like one from a trangia set or suchlike) to lift them out and stir every now and again. As long as the tin isn't too close to the hotter part of the fire its fine.

For burgers get a grill (or back door metal mat / boot scraper grill thingy). Let the fire burn until you have a good amount of embers. Clear burning stuff from a corner of the fire big enough for your grill. Stick 2 good sized logs spaced apart so the grill can sit on top. Cook the life out of whatever meat products you like. This also works as a good, stable flat surface for pots / pans / kettles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE