Help with choosing the right axe for my needs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Well, there's always the Mora 220 splitter. Designed for the job. Not that much use for anything else.

Cheers,
Leif

Emil0509

May 22, 2013
Denmark
At the moment i am buying alot of stuff. I will wait until ive raised a bit more monet in my Bushcraft account :)

So that greed wont bite me in the bottom.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Its a great axe the Scandinavian - it has a slim profile more designed for cutting than splitting - but I have found it splits just fine! Big enough to use two handed, light enough to use one handed - you won't go far wrong with a Scandinavian Forest Axe

Good angle by British Red, on Flickr

I use my Scandi axe for roughing out bows even though i have the GB hatchet. There is too much swing needed for the hatchet to make it accurate enough for a decent amount of control. Agreed if the round is a bit knotty or a little green with some interlocking grain then you do have to get behind it a little or finish it off with a mallet. No better all rounder in my experience and the extra length handle just finishes of the pacakge.

rg598

Native
For an all around axe my choice would be what we here in the US call a Boy's axe. It has a handle of about 26-28 inches and a head weight of 2-2.5 lb. My favorite production one is the Council Tool Boy's axe.

424618_10100842904788849_2002933334_n.jpg

That being said, if I am going into the woods alone, I usually bring nothing, or at most a hatchet. I find that I keep my fires small, which requires very little wood processing, making the weight of the axe hard to justify. If however I was going to be in a camp with other people, the the above axe would be my choice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE