Help! Rucksack size question (specific)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
Hello!

There has been a lot of discussion on rucksack size, but people normally post what size they use with a general explanation.

My question is very specific:

I am planning to buy a summer camping rucksack for 1-3 nights. I guess a size of 45-55 liters would be sufficient, but I really don't want to buy a rucksack that is too large.

So, my question to you lot who are more experienced than me:

The gear I'm aming for is: 10,5 liters for tent, 10-15 liters for sleeping bag (depending on the exact summer model I buy), 5 liters for self-inflating sleeping mat.

So what is the minimum size I need for the rest? Extra underwear, food, water, and other generic equipment (you know, knife, axe, saw, FAK, essentials and so on).

Is 15 liters enough for it?
How much does the abovementioned take up in your pack?

Thanks a lot for your help, I sincerely need it! :)

Last edited:

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
I've done 2 nights using an 18 litre pack. But that was in California, so lighter, more compact gear. But in the UK, I tend to stick to a 30-litre pack, with judicious use of kit. I do record some of my load-outs on my blog...

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
A few things could be strapped to the outside.the mat for example which will free up space inside............I can't help you as I need a 100 litre bag just for 1 night....

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
unfortunately packs dont quite take work around the size in litres of the item you want to put in there ie a 40l pack will not hold 20 2litre bottles of water more like 5 or 6 bottles if you get wot i mean, your better off working with the dimensions, for me though i always use the same pack which is 60l but being a canvas duluth pack its quite flexible and looks alot smaller when half full, i dare say you could get away with a 30l pack but it would be brimming which is a pain in my eyes as when you want something out your pack you have to spend 5 min unpacking and re packing also its nice to have room to put clothing in if you get warm on the trip in, plus for me i usualy come back with a bag full of bits of nice wood etc i find.
some people dont like to use large packs because they tend to full it with things they wont need, but after a few trips you soon learn to ditch these items.
imho i suggest getting 45l-60l to alow for extra food or maybe a extra tarp if the weather is bad
cheers ash

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...10,5 liters for tent, 10-15 liters for sleeping bag (depending on the exact summer model I buy), 5 liters for self-inflating sleeping mat.

So what is the minimum size I need for the rest? Extra underwear, food, water, and other generic equipment (you know, knife, axe, saw, FAK, essentials and so on).

Is 15 liters enough for it?
How much does the abovementioned takmethadologye up in your pack?..."

I can get by with a 47 litre pack, summer or winter. Sometimes I will strap things to the outside of the pack, usually food and water. I like a comfy sleeping bag and that can take up as much as 20 litres (ish), I do not use a tent but instead use an extremely large and lightweight tarp, I have a three quarter therma rest which crushes away very small and everything else I usually need fits into the remaining space.

So it can be done and as others have suggested, if you buy a larger pack, you will often be tempted to pack more into it. :)

The Sabre 45 packs and others in the same vein might be worth a look, the main pack is of a good size and if you want to take more simply zip on the side pockets. I don't find it to be a particuarly comfortable rucksack, but others do. Paul Kirtley (former head instructor at the Woodlore School) provides a good run down of his packing methodology here.

Last edited:
I flit between a 50litre (lightweight and low profile) Osprey Atmos and a 35litre Lowe Alpine Mountain Attack Pro depending on whether or not I'm carrying a full-on tent (Wild Country Hoy 1-2 man) or just a bivy bag.

Unlike Vizsla, I HATE carrying a big rucksack with bugger all in it. Everything sinks to the bottom no matter how careful you are with the compression straps and makes for a really sloppy carry. Conversely, trying to put too much weight into a rucksack that doesn't have a frame to support it is a recipe for backache and an unhappy time.

Having to carry all your own food will make a difference too... especially if you're out for the full three nights you mention.

Unfortunately, as with most things in life, one size does NOT fit all. I'm up to 4 rucksacks in regular use these days:

1: 10 litre Highlander Forces 10 for 1 day bushcraft style outings with survival kit / water bottle & filter
2: a) 35 litre Lowe Alpine Mountain Attack Pro for long day hikes with food / flask / wet weather gear + the above
2: b) 35 litre Lowe Alpine Mountain Attack Pro for single day rock climbing where pack size and weight are an issue due to access (ie. sea cliff climbing) with half a climbing rack (rack shared with partner) + the above
2: c) 35 litre Lowe Alpine Mountain Attack Pro for lightweight Alpine style multi-day mountaineering with climbing gear / bivy bag sleeping bag and stove + the above
3: 50 litre Osprey Atmos for multi-day treks with all of the above (apart from climbing gear) + tent
4: 70 litre Berghaus for single day rock climbing that's easily accessible with my entire rack of climbing gear + rigging ropes for mucking about at crags where pack weight and size aren't an issue

As you can see... if I was FORCED to pick only one rucksack, the 35litre would be the most versatile. However, a long distance trek with a 35litre rucksack with only a format for support would at best be uncomfortable and at worst result in a back injury.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
The Sabre 45 packs and others in the same vein might be worth a look, the main pack is of a good size and if you want to take more simply zip on the side pockets. I don't find it to be a particuarly comfortable rucksack, but others do. Paul Kirtley (former head instructor at the Woodlore School) provides a good run down of his packing methodology here.

A 45 liter seems most appropriate for me too, but I have read Paul Kirtley's blog and the article is very informative indeed, but as with most articles he does not talk how much room every item takes up. An x-ray picture would be the best. :)

For example - he mentions that fully packed it still has room for food. How much free space is there?

Thanks everyone for your comments. I guess I'll just haul all my stuff to the store and pack it there - food and everything.

I am also thinking of buying several packs. My first year of bushcrafting I spent only doing day trips outside with a few overnighters when the car was closeby. My day sack is 20 liters and I can fit most of the essentials there. Tools, FAK, a bit of water and food and a waterproof.

I'm thinking of going up in increasing increments. 20l for daysack, 45l for overnights or a few nights, 75l for winter and longer trips. One of my dreams would be to go out solo skiing in the winter, but winter sleeping bags and other kit is very expensive and takes up a lot of room. With the constant danger of -25 to -30C in the winter nights I wouldn't want to take any compromises in kit that helps keep me warm.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Thanks everyone for your comments. I guess I'll just haul all my stuff to the store and pack it there - food and everything.

This might be the best idea. One of the big problems is not all 30 Liters are created equal. Karrimor bags seem to be bang on, so a 30 liter one includes pockets and everything. Gelert seem to measure the pack space and nothing else. What this means is I have two rucksacs that are surposed to be the same size but one has much more space than the other.

I would go 55l ish myself. If you go bigger you will fill the space. The big point is write down everything that goes in and then when back at home go down list and go I had it but it never left the pack.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
I use to use a 25 liter for one nighters in summer, then a 55 for up to 2 nighters. I now use a 65+10. I find my standard 1 night pack fills out the bag nicely and leaves plenty of room for additional equipment for longer stays. But minimum pack size for you probs 50-60 liters.
As for you estimated tent size I think that's pretty big, how big is your tent?
And how much were you looking to spend? I know Vango do some 50+10 packs for around £50

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE