help required to dye leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Archy

Dec 28, 2009
Launditch
I have been given a possibles pouch kit - the giver thought the kit was a dark tan colour and had a pattern on it but when the kit arrived it has a horrid pale tan colour and no pattern :( the leather is also very stiff, does anyone know of a way I can darken the colour and/or soften the leather?
Any help would be gratefully received
Ta
Archy

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Archy
You can dye the leather IF it hasn't been treated (ie oiled or waxed) or if it is made from chrome tanned leather.
If it hasn't been treated a cheap way to dye it is to pop into a local shoe repairers and buy some leather dye for shoes. Lightly dampen the pouch, and using a soft cloth, slowly rub the dye into the leather using a circular motion until you get a nice even coverage. Once it is dry you can treat it with a wax/oil mixture (plenty of recipies on here).
If the pouch is already treated, then it could be difficult.
Hope this helps

Baggins

Willderness

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2009
UK / UAE
Another alternative is to make a vinegaroon which will give you a black colour. Household ingredients ('free' to make), there are some tutorials on here.

Will

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
You could give it a going over with neat's foot oil (as you should do anyway). That will darken it a little bit. Then let sunlight do it's work on it. Direct exposure to sunlight will cause the leather to darken naturally to a deep, rich golden tan.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
fiebings leather dye works well.

i stained this slip pouch i made
Leather4.jpg

to this darker shade (pouch on the left) with fiebings leather dye medium brown (i gave it 2 coats to get it nioce and dark and rich). got it from bowstock leather supplies. I then waxed and buffed it and its dark and shiny
BCHolder3.jpg

just watch out with the leather dye, do it outdoors, its stains everything - it even staind my tiled worktop - not the grout but the actual tile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE