Help! My Akubra Cattleman arrived but is too big

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh, my new hat has arrived, the Akubra cattleman, felted fur, looks brand new to me!

But, its a 59cm head size, and its a bit loose. not front and back, but sides.

My Tilley T3 hat is a 59cm head size and fits perfectly.

Is there anything I can do? [Im guessing i shouldnt just try to shrink it in the washing machine?]

[Any witticisms, like 'grow youre hair thicker dave, will be completely ignored. :p]

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Was going to suggest something like John and what you found.
Remember the credo... Pictures or it didn't happen :D be good to see this hat.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Was going to suggest something like John and what you found.
Remember the credo... Pictures or it didn't happen :D be good to see this hat.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Ive been walking round all morning, like 'the josey wales!' Blanket as a poncho.......etc......

Identical to this one:
http://goodwoods.com.au/akubra-cattleman.html

cattleman.jpg

Ive also got a load of gear now, for the toboggan build, as have two other members, so there'll liley be a few boggan build threads for you to enjoy soon Colin!

And tommorow I should have the first photos, of the making of an arctic anorak, from a fella in the USA, whom I have asked to document his progress!

Plenty to see soon!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Huh! Thats exactly what the problem is, not only that, at the beginning, the guy is wearing my hat!

I'll have a look for one, thanks Santaman.

[I bet its going to be very difficult to find one locally though! :lmao:]

Yep, Im gonna have to bodge up a hat jack myself, and get the kettle on it! Mmmmm

Last edited:

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
These are mine

IMG_0805.jpg

same as yours
IMG_0806.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

Haven't had the need to wear mine for a couple of years and it's obvious which is my favorite.

Put a strip of something inside between the headband (sweatband) and the hat is the best thing to do at first. The headband will shrink slightly as you wear it and sweat into it so when it starts to feel a bit snug take the strip out.

They are great hats.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Put a strip of something inside between the headband and the hat is the best thing to do at first. The headband will shrink slightly as you wear it and sweat into it so when it starts to feel a bit snug take the strip out.

Nice looking hats. I'll take your advice then...Cheers.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I found that my territory hat was slightly too large, but one it had been worn a bit and shaped to my head it was a great fit.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Ive put 3 pieces of cork inside the leather band, and a fourth at the front, now it fits properly. But the corks not glued in or anything.
I cant see how its gonna shrink by itself and fit properly.

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
It won't shrink by itself, you have to wear the hat and moisture from your head will cause the leather sweatband to shrink a little each time as it dries. After a while it will have shrunk enough to fit without the packing. Think in terms of weeks rather than hoping for an overnight change.
Having said that it sounds kinda big if you've had to put 4 pieces of cork in.
I bought mine on trips to OZ so was able to get a fairly good fit from the off but like shoes some styles just wouldn't fit no matter what size I tried. They should be slightly loose when new to allow for shrinkage and a 6 inch strip of cereal box for a couple of weeks was perfect for me. Like shoes I wouldn't buy one without trying it on personally.
You could try wetting the sweatband and letting it dry a couple of times to speed up the process.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE