Help me pick out a hatchet.

Stirling3749

Jan 30, 2011
BC, Canada
Hi folks.
I'm in the market for a new hatchet for my "Nessmuk" setup and I think I have it narrowed down to 2.

Either the Gransfors bruks mini
http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/produkter/new_prod/p_lillayxa.html

Or a custom Lee Reeves double bit.
http://ssidders.tripod.com/id121.htm

As for intended use, it will ride in my pack on hiking trips and be used for general camp choirs. (firewood, limbing rabbits, carving and such)
I use a small hobo stove for my cooking so I don't exactly need to chop up huge logs but for winter camping I'd like to know I can get a decent heat fire without spending all day on the firewood.
Safety isn't a big concern, I've used double bits as well as single and I'm pretty careful.
Price isn't a problem either, I'm will to shell out for something that will no doubt last a lifetime.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :)

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I wasn't so keen on the mini hatchet personally as it is extremely small. (for big ol' me at least)

Of the two I'd go for the double bit but that is based on the fact that I like them and I've always wanted one. - That said I'm sure you could do far worse for what you intend to use it for.

Have a look as the GB small forest axe - bit bigger than those two but certainly a very useful size.

All the best
Andy

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'd say the double bit mate, looks fantastic. The axe Mesquite has shown also looks really good and the price is alright..might wanna sand off the Mears logo though ;) .

Looked into the Hultafors bruks range? Same swedish build quality and you won't feel like a 'bushclone'.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
If you want a proper Nessmuk setup then it absolutely has to be the Lee Reeves double bit.

Unless you plan on buying at one of the shows or events Lee attends you will probably end up buying a Granfors while you wait for your double bit to be made - good work is worth waiting for though.

I am 6' 4" and about 230 pounds (ish) and I use a Gransfors Bruks mini or my own (made by my own fair ?!?! hands) mini for almost everything that requires an axe:

damascus_hatchet_detail.jpg

damascus_hatchet_side.jpg

:D

Once I reach the realms of larger axe work I like a vintage Norlund Hudson Bay or a Gransfors Scandinavian Forest Axe. The Gransfors Small Forest Axe is neither fish nor fowl - too heavy a head on too short a handle results in a tool that I found astonishingly bad at everything. I got rid of mine the day after I bought it. The Gransfors Scandinavian Forest Axe makes it look like a child's toy by comparison, while the mini can do tons of stuff if you have a mind to. I use mine mainly for roughing out a LOT of longbows from staves.

I can easily do felling with a Scandinavian Forest Axe (within reason) and since most people tend not to get into log cabin (or similar) construction on their weekend jaunts it's plenty enough axe to pack around with you. Anything more is a chore to pack and pointless unless you have serious timber to drop or fully intend building a cabin, in which case you will want a bunch of other, supporting tools and nonsense as well. Keep in mind though that Gransfors axes are intended for use on softwoods and their geometry and edge reflects this, being very, very different to what you might expect to find on a Norlund or any other axe that might be familiar to Americans and Canadians over the last couple of hundred years.

Everything is about your own approach and how flexible and adaptable you are. Check out the Old Jimbo page where he splits out a HUGE log with a mini-hatchet...

Going back to Norlund, some interesting double bit examples crop up now and then and once in a while you find a gem of one that it small enough to more or less fall roughly within the Nessmuk size. Just.

Ragweed forge used to do a small double bit (Fort Meigs Nessmuk) but I'm going back quite a few years now - physically smaller than the Lee Reeves but quite hefty nevertheless.

Actually, you're in pretty good shape being in Canada. Every time I am over there I come back to the UK with all kinds of stuff in my suitcase, mostly bearing an edge on one end and a Norlund mark on the other...

:)

Check out antique stores, flea markets, put a wanted ad or three in your local newspaper, tackle shop or sporting publication and sit back. My uncle pinched my most recent Norlund acquisition (brought back from Ontario just before Christmas) as soon as he saw it - a small double bit saddle axe, about 16 inches long and 6 and 1/2 inches bit to bit :(

Cost me $32 CA and the guy I bought it off clearly thought he'd got the better part of the bargain :rolleyes:

I asked if he had any more...

:D

Last edited:

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I'd whole heartedly reccomed the GB Wildlife Hatchet. It's a great tool, fits in a 35L backpack and packs a big punch for the size.

I've got both the hatchet and the SFA, but normally take the hatchet as it packs away better in a smaller pack.

Stirling3749

Jan 30, 2011
BC, Canada
Thanks for all your input folks. All things considered I think I'll go with the reeves for the extra bit and increased chopping power and also the fact that it just looks so cool.
Thanks again everyone. :)

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Thanks for all your input folks. All things considered I think I'll go with the reeves for the extra bit and increased chopping power and also the fact that it just looks so cool.
Thanks again everyone. :)

There's one on eBay right now and it keeps winking at me :D

Oh and Xunil, that little belt hatchet is just beautiful.

Flattery will get you everywhere - thanks for your kind words :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Any one ever used any of the snow and nealley axes? I've been eyeing up their equivalent of the Scandinavian forest axe. Much more useful looking for British hardwoods.

http://www.snowandnealley.com/products/axes/hbca24.htm

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I had a play with one a month or so ago when I was last in Canada - very nice, and very purposeful.

It is basically an American pattern equivalent (in size) to the Sc FA but far more useful on hardwoods.

I was very impressed and badgered by uncle for it, but he wouldn't give it up :D

Reminded me very much of the Norlund Hudson Bay axe, which is one heck of a compliment to the Snow and Nealey.

It's on my list when I go back over next month - the things I bring back in my suitcase...

:rolleyes:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I had a play with one a month or so ago when I was last in Canada - very nice, and very purposeful.

It is basically an American pattern equivalent (in size) to the Sc FA but far more useful on hardwoods.

I was very impressed and badgered by uncle for it, but he wouldn't give it up :D

Reminded me very much of the Norlund Hudson Bay axe, which is one heck of a compliment to the Snow and Nealey.

It's on my list when I go back over next month - the things I bring back in my suitcase...

:rolleyes:

Cheers for that mate :) . I'll end up with one, they ain't cheap from the uk retailer though. They come unsharpened aswell which I like as I can profile it how I want it. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE