Choosing a saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Some good stuff here folks, thank you for spending the time to reply.

The reason i'd like the saw for firewood processing is because i usually do overnighters with a few friends and we generally spend a lot of time sat around the camp fire having a drink. It'd be handy for the thicker, longer lasting fuel and nice size fire for multiple people to sit around, cook on, kick out some light, dry/air stuff out, nice warm area to work or chill around and keep the flies away.
Just general camp cosiness and homeliness really, it's not camping for me unless we have a nice campfirem

Pushing over dead standing trees and sectioning the wood up and having a nice edge to split it down and get to the dry stuff inside for tinder and kindling is handy.
Not always necessary but a bit more versatility and capability is nice. Nice to have the options there, especially with the amount of wet weather we get over here in the UK.

Whilst im still undecided im edging towards a folder and pack a spare bowsaw blade in the pack if I need more cutting power.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Fire up the gas powersaw and everybody within ear-shot knows you're cutting fire wood so everyone can help themselves.
30" Sandvik bowsaw with the coarse blade keeps your wood close to your fire.

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
You mentioned you planned to sit around a nice fire with friends.
Let friends carry it and the beer!
:)
Haha they are terrible for bringing everything and the kitchen sink. I turn up for an overnighter with a small rucksack, usually end up having to help carry their stuff!

When i go on my own i usually go for a nice long walk somewhere random a few miles from home and will generally just use a small wood burning stove similar to a firebox and that suits my needs fine for heating up meals or a cuppa tea.
Good lump of fatwood and just chuck in any old bits of wood close to hand

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
IF YOU WANT TO USE IT FOR A GROUP YOU SHOULD BUY A LIGHT FOLDING BOW SAW.
With blade for dead wood!

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Pushing over dead standing trees and sectioning the wood up and having a nice edge to split it down and get to the dry stuff inside for tinder and kindling is handy.
Not always necessary but a bit more versatility and capability is nice. Nice to have the options there, especially with the amount of wet weather we get over here in the UK.

Whilst im still undecided im edging towards a folder and pack a spare bowsaw blade in the pack if I need more cutting power.

A small knife or sak saw will let you make a frame easily.

If you can push over a dead sapling stander, it is ok for burning, and will probably be dry enough. You can burn it through , then you have two bits you can burn through, then 4. For kindling dead standers usually have plenty up top, so a bit of starter, then piles of kindling, and your good to go. Save the roots for night time as they burn a good time.

Reactions: Erbswurst
Apr 27, 2019
USA ( Blue Ridge Mt's )
Due to age and health, I only do day hikes, with a couple extras in case of an emergency over night stay Here in the Blue Ridge Mt''s, (6 miles from the Appalachian Trail) Finding downed trees is an easy process, I try to be as minimal as possible, and find that the Bahco Laplander works best for me. If my stays were more then a day or more, I would probably upgrade though. When in the bush, I do carry a BK7 for chopping blade. ( We are allowed to carry any size knife we want in this state.)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE