HELP! Knife making fail...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AntMan232

Jan 2, 2012
Surrey
Hi,

I am in the process of making my first knife, and got to the point of attaching the guard to the blank, using silver solder. I failed, due to inexperience, but have damaged the temper in the middle of the blank. Has anyone got any ideas about how to resolve this problem? I have visions of the blade snapping in the middle, or having a horrible dark smudge at the bottom of the blade for all time.
February262012
Thanks in advance.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Unlikely to have ruined it. You can sand the mark out with a bit of 320g paper and go through the grades until it matches the blade.
Solder it with lead solder as it needs less heat and is easier to clean up afterwards.

AntMan232

Jan 2, 2012
Surrey
Thanks for the reply, and thanks to whoever posted the pic. Will it have any major strength effect because of the different hardness just there? And I have already decided to use soft solder, though I will try take the (useless) lead free solder route, just in case I end up prepping game or anything.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
It wont make any noticable difference. I really dont think any lead in the solder will contaminate anything you cut unless your planning to coat the blade in lead.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
strength wise its not going to make much differance unless your going to batton through lots and lots of wood with it, this sometimes causes the blade to snap at the week point (the temper line) but is very uncommon even then...

so in answer to your question, yes it will be fine, and as above just polish the colour out, i would start at a higher grit though to save work and removal of steel, you might even get away with polishing the marks off...

regards.

chris.

AntMan232

Jan 2, 2012
Surrey
Thanks again for the replies, Sounds like i'll be alright then. Do any of you have any tips for the actual soldering? I'm told you use borax flux, although I have found some silver solder with flux on the outside. I only have a butane torch, is that going to get hot enough, and if so, not damage the temper again? I have been using a heatsink, but it may not be good enough to stop more discolouration...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE