Help Identifying Cat Prints found at 5000meters in the Khumbu, Nepal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

P Wren

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Kent,Surrey Borders
Hello. I have never posted in this sub forum before, so here goes.

I have just returned from a month long solo trekking expedition in the Everest region of Nepal.

On 17 February I was at 5000m and walking at the fifth lake above Gokyo village when I observed what I believed to be big cat (lynx sized) print in a layer of one and a half day old snow.

Sadly these are far too small for Snow Leopard, but I was wondering if it was possible to positively identify the cat/creature that left the tracks. I took a few pictures which I have reduced (substantially) in size and I left my sun glasses as a means of estimating scale.

They aren't great I'm afraid - but it was a long tiring walk at altitude and they are the best I could get before scurrying back to find my Sherpa - though why he wasn't waiting for me I don't know...(another story)

So can any one help in Identifying these ?

Big Cat Print 1
Big Cat Print 2
Big Cat Print 3

Thank you kindly

Paul

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Nepal also has tigers and leopards but judging by the size of the prints and the elevation you stated those two can be ruled out. A wildcat of mountainous regions in Asia is pallas's cat, a bit smaller than the lynx. However, a lynx would be my bet because pallas's cat is of a smaller size (although I know nothing of the size of it's paws!) and lynxes can live at high altitudes.

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE