Help ! Anyone done any Brain tanning ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I am picking up a Deer carcass tonight, and am hoping to do something with the hide. Ideally i would prefer to leave the hair on and brain tan (preserve and soften) it using the deer's own brain.
Anyone got any ideas ? I have had a look at Brain tan.com, but there is so many different methods, and mainly for making buckskin (maybe that is easier ?) that i don't know where to start !
Thanks
Rich

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Rich is your leaving the hair on - stretch the hide first and flesh it. Once thats dont PROPERLY - no short cuts.

Boil the brain in with a little water until it turns white, you can use it like this or I mash it up into a lumpy pastey mess and then massage this into the hole hide.

LEAVE IT IN THE SHADE FOR A DAY OR TWO.

Then go out and scrap off all the brain mush with a graining tool until the hide is dry.

Lastly then you need to wash the hide (not compulsory) and then work it over a beam or round a tree trunk to soften it up - then your finished.

Any questions drop me a line - its hard work mate.

F

frog71_uk

That sounds like magic ... Is it the fat in the brain that softens the skin ?
Just curious :?:

Cheers :wave:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
I have no idea, but the saying goes that every animals has a brain big enough for its own hide.

There must be some chemical reaction hence the leaving it for a couple of days to soak in!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Not the brightest lights on the christmas tree are they Jack! :wink:

But theres a good tip for you Rich - for tanning your hide use factor 15! :eek:):

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Have you read Ray Mears on the subject it looks ok to me.
I have followed his book up to make rawhide of a deer skin , which is sitting in my garage as we speak. I havnt got any brains to turn it to buckskin.
Scrapping the hide to remove the flesh and fat and hair was the most revolting thing I have done recently. Probably because I left it soaking too long and it was getting a bit high.

Good luck!

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Got a little chemical tanning kit from Snowdonia Taxidermy supplies at the Midland Game Fair last year.
Tanned an otter pelt and a few rabbit pelts.
Dead easy and very good results
RB

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
There are a lot of sites that go into brain tanning. Here's the first one I encountered.

Brain Tanning

If you don't have any experience with handling furs, this site will give you the needed info and should be used in conjunction with the first link.

Tanning furs

It is a lot of work and don't forget to smoke the hide when you're done tanning it. It will help to protect the hide from infestation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE