Help and suggestions for a warm coat. Bear with me.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
'Twas a while ago now mate but I think it was near the kids playground area. They had some very nice kit but I guess it's luck on the day with that sort of place. It wasn't right in the thick of the crowded bit so there is chance of an early exit.
SWMBO says park near Gap and walk down from there it is 2minutes.Cant remember what it's called though sorry.
Cheers , Simon

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
My best guess is in the block from 120-ish to 130-ish on the right hand side
I think it may have been near the Vans shop.
HTH Simon

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Depending on your size, these guys have them in stock:

http://www.wildtrak.com/product.asp?id=3732&optionId=o14041sSmall

No links etc but have bought gear from them before.

Never used these but they have them in stock (only in blue though) also an extra 10% off with code: MLP-JANUARY

http://www.mountainleisureperth.com/rab---photon-jacket-738-p.asp

Thanks but after black in medium and they are out.

Also look out for a photon belay. They are a heavier weight version but can be had for a similar price on offer.

Will do mate cheers.
Daft time of year to be looking for a popular warm jacket ;)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
That should keep you warm alright.
I have the ultralight version & wear it all the time when it's cold.
Rab gear is fantastic quality but beware sharp pointy things as the pertex tears very easily when snagged.
Cheers , Simon

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
beware sharp pointy things as the pertex tears very easily when snagged.
Cheers , Simon

Will be keeping this for hills and general use. Will keep the sugpack softie and green buffalo for the woods and brambles. Infact both have been repaired several times ;)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Well the Rab Photon turned up today as promised :)

For starters it is very well made indeed. The loft is very well placed and the shell feels great to the touch and seems pretty hard wearing for what it is.
I took it out for a quick couple of miles with the dog and it performed admirably. Very warm from the outset, comfortable and well fitting. The hood is also insulated which helps no end with the driving snow the pup and I encountered on our walk.
The chest pockets are at a nice height and deep enough not to lose everything when you forget to zip them up. Multiple draw point in the hood and the waste help snug things up nicely. The jacket also dries very quickly and whilst it didnt get soaked there was plenty of melted snow which dampened things some.

I have yet to test if for more than a few hours yet and to be honest that's not going to be until I get proper a hill walk in. No chance I am going to risk this jacket in the woods around a fire this weekend, thats what my softie is for :)

Also whilst i am here a big recommendation for http://www.trekitt.co.uk/index.jsp Lovely people to deal with great service and a great price. Probably £20 cheaper than most and believe me i did look.

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Glad you like it. Mine is my daily dog walking coat and its never let me down. Its seen plenty of driving rain and ive always been toastie. I did rip it near one of the chest pockets but a bit of spinnaker tape made for an invisible repair as it matched the royal blue perfectly :)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Glad you like it. Mine is my daily dog walking coat and its never let me down. Its seen plenty of driving rain and ive always been toastie. I did rip it near one of the chest pockets but a bit of spinnaker tape made for an invisible repair as it matched the royal blue perfectly :)

Somewhere it mentioned you can pack it into the chest pocket? Does it mean the inside one?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Too late but I got a £45 Peter Storm Fleece (it has that super thick furry pile inside). It is just about over the butt length but is super warm and a grey sort of colour. I don't know how you'd describe the outer fabric layer but it is kind of knitted/twill weave (ois it herringbone??). Warm and suited me for that warm when not out and about in the country sort of jacket. omnly draeback is if in the open and its a bit breezy the wind can blow through. In towns I guess it could be less of an issue and I only notice it when walking through the countryside on an elevated canal overlooking the Morecambe Bay. That means a southwesterly is a buit cold.

Tip for everyone else...shop for clothing at the end of the season they'd be used in. Obvious but it was how I got a mountain equipment down smock for half price a while back. Can't complain at £60, especially as it is about 15 plus years and still as good as new.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have a rab synth insulated smock. The large chest pocket turns inside out and has internal zip puills that work when inside out to close around the rest of the smock. It also has omne or two webbing loops that end up on the outside when it is packed up like this for clipping to your sack. Workswell.

Just look inside the pockets until you see a zip pull that works inside out and probably loops too in the pocket. That will be it.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have a rab synth insulated smock. The large chest pocket turns inside out and has internal zip puills that work when inside out to close around the rest of the smock. It also has omne or two webbing loops that end up on the outside when it is packed up like this for clipping to your sack. Workswell.

Just look inside the pockets until you see a zip pull that works inside out and probably loops too in the pocket. That will be it.

Well what do you know, it does pack down into its inner pocket! Thanks. :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
my generator is kind of a trapezium shape.

My haglofs barrier II gilet is neater. It is a simple cylinder shape when packed this way.

Seems to be a common packing way with newer insulated synthetic tops (think down too in cases). They seem to use it to save weight over the separate stuff sack which ppl often end up losing if not organised.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE