Help and suggestions for a warm coat. Bear with me.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all,

I am starting to go jacket blind please help.
I want a warm jacket for every day use rather than the woods or hills.Whilst I am well aware of the search facility it is only making things worse as is searching online for reviews and ideas. Everything i have currently is pretty much green and woods like and I have had enough of looking like I have strayed too far from the woods into civilisation or have just been given leave.

I want the same kind of warmth I get from my woods kit but a more civi appearance and something I can wear when out with the missus or at the boozer. I have a buffalo shirt which is great but I want a full front zip rather than over the head. I have a snug softie which has always keeps me warm but its too military/green. I have a snug soft shell which isn't enough to keep me warm on its own.

It seems that everything these days is part of a "system" or a layer rather than just one jacket or its a puffa jacket type affair.

So i guess your all thinking its easy a falki type of thing but i cant help but balk at the price of such a bit of kit.
Just to make it more difficult I want it for less than a £100, more like less than fiver but hey :)

So help please. I am not particularly stuck on brand names but some times its the only way of getting decent quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Have you had a look in TK ? I was in our local one earlier getting a pizza stone and they had some really good looking ones in the ski section. They weren't all bright colours there were several which might be if use.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
You can't go far wrong with a decent ski jacket, mate. Waterproof, windproof & warm & they come in sensible colours too!! Failing that a Musto Snug - I picked up a nice brown one in TK Maxx for £40 & it's the dogs for 'civi' use.

Pholland

Apr 26, 2012
Bognor Regis
Hey, I have recently had this dilemma myself. But as it was Christmas I asked santos little helpers if they could get me the jacket of choice. Which is I'm sorry to say out of the £100 price range you have set yourself but ticks all of the boxes you asked for. Anyway it was a CC Filson jacket from America. It was a lot of money but deemed to be bullet proof so as long as you don't intend to put on much weight you will have it a lot longer than you will have a £100 jacket. Well that it how I sold it to misses anyway
That it my suggestion, hope it helps
Good luck
Peter

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
My leather flying jacket lol ;) seriously ...I'm sure the big shop (no affiliation blah) goOutdoors will have something. Bright down jackets are sound and more pub friendly than the old smoking pub days.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A good wool double breasted knee length top coat is a classic - cut like a military "greatcoat" they come up on e-bay regularly - look good with a suit and are warm as hell if you get caught out in the cold. For something more "smart casual", a "pea coat" (navy reffer jacket) or tweed shooting jacket both look great, are tough and functional

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Rab Photon. Pertex Outer and Primaloft. Bomb proof, toasty and can be had for a ton

+1 on that- Beat me to it! Rab Photon is great, two map sized, zipped hand-warmer pockets (micro fleece lined) one zipped internal pocket (jacket packs away into this) made from Pertex so its got a good water resistance, windproof and is very lightweight. I have one in black and love it, the insulated hood also comes in handy but it can be rolled away. Also has a nice high collar which reduces the need for a scarf.

Berghaus also do a similar jacket but I chose the Rab as the zip on the Berghaus kept snagging (when I tried it on) and it did not feel as well made.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
+ 1 for the alpkit down jacket,
absolutely love mine at the moment with this cold weather.
Ideal for walking the dog,camping and going to the pub with ;)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
+1 on that- Beat me to it! Rab Photon is great, two map sized, zipped hand-warmer pockets (micro fleece lined) one zipped internal pocket (jacket packs away into this) made from Pertex so its got a good water resistance, windproof and is very lightweight. I have one in black and love it, the insulated hood also comes in handy but it can be rolled away. Also has a nice high collar which reduces the need for a scarf.

Berghaus also do a similar jacket but I chose the Rab as the zip on the Berghaus kept snagging (when I tried it on) and it did not feel as well made.

Thanks for the input all.

I liked the look of the photon so made a few calls today with no luck. Funny how all the decent jackets are sold out at this time of year. :rolleyes:

So need to see if I can order one in.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Anyone know of a good shop online for other for the photon?
Might just ask the cotswold guys to try for me if not.
Thanks.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
There's a good outdoorsy outlet shop at Cheshire Oaks with lots of Berghaus and Some Patagonia kit. Only been once (was enough tbh) but was very cheap. I got an Attrition Proshell and a great fleece for £120.
Could be worth a look.Not far from you either.
Cheers , Simon

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Amazon have it..

Thanks seem a lot more expensive than most but will keep looking. Could "crawl under a snakes belly with a top hat on" as my Nan says. ;)

There's a good outdoorsy outlet shop at Cheshire Oaks with lots of Berghaus and Some Patagonia kit. Only been once (was enough tbh) but was very cheap. I got an Attrition Proshell and a great fleece for £120.
Could be worth a look.Not far from you either.
Cheers , Simon

Live about 2 miles from "Cheshire Choaks" so might give that a try.
Which shop did you goto and can you provide a gridref so I can get in and out whilst avoiding the shopping hell? ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE