Hello

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Found your place a while ago and realised there are skills here I could really do with.

I am a bit absent minded.

Went camping and forgot the tent, keep running out of petrol, often forget the map and end up lost - love the idea of stop make tea!, forget how late it has got and end up getting lost and stuck out for most of the night..... I really have No Idea....

Learning these skills would make my life much better when I do mess up - and make my boys lives better too! I keep rucksacks in the car as I foul up so often, but having the right stuff in them would make more sense....

I think you are all brilliant for sharing.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Thank you for your welcome Mesquite and Southey.

The car boot/trunk holds 3 full size rucksacks and sleeping bags, 1 tent, skateboards and fishing kit, as I usually have No Idea where I will end up.
The rucksacks hold hammocks, tarps, waterbottles, paracord, 3 sm 1st aid kits and a big one, pvc tape, cable ties, microwave rice packs, chocolate, £15 in coins, basic tools, cutlery, toothpaste shaving and soap, survival guides, torches, paper pens, waterproof coats, orange ponchos, walkie talkies......

They usually get used at least once a week.

Trouble is, that I am not convinced that they hold the best stuff for our needs.

Need to learn and ask questions.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The car boot/trunk holds 3 full size rucksacks and sleeping bags, 1 tent, skateboards and fishing kit, as I usually have No Idea where I will end up.
The rucksacks hold hammocks, tarps, waterbottles, paracord, 3 sm 1st aid kits and a big one, pvc tape, cable ties, microwave rice packs, chocolate, £15 in coins, basic tools, cutlery, toothpaste shaving and soap, survival guides, torches, paper pens, waterproof coats, orange ponchos, walkie talkies......

They usually get used at least once a week.

Trouble is, that I am not convinced that they hold the best stuff for our needs.

Ditch the skateboard (and the microwave?!) and get a decent liquid fuel stove. It will be smaller and weigh a lot less. Something with a 'roarer' burner capable of burning several different kinds of fuel would be my first choice. I'd have thought a mobile 'phone would be more use than walkie-talkies most of the time, especially in the UK. Read the survival guides, buy a few more, read them too, and get your kids to test you on your knowledge. It can be a good game for when you're out lost somewhere. Practice putting the tent up in a wet, windy, cold and dark place. That's even more fun and you'll soon know why all of us here have head torches... :)

Got a GPS? I'm not saying I recommend them for general navigation (I think you should really know how to navigate properly before you get GPS) but if you're lost, they're pretty good at finding you.

Next time you have an 'incident' use the paper and pens to write down the things you forgot to take that you needed and the things that got in the way. Aim eventually to make the list a formal checklist which you run through at the start of every journey that's likely to take you off the beaten track. Sometimes it's good to have a PLAN of what you intend to do and where you intend to go and do it. It's not a bad idea to tell someone where you're going and when you're expecting to be back if it might be risky. Don't forget to tell them when you get back, so they don't call out the mountain rescue when you're tucked up in bed at home.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Hi Ged

Lol we carry those Uncle Bens Microwave rice packs and eat them cold. Each time I try cooking something, it immediately goes black, blows up (Fray Bentos last week when I forgot to take the lid off), or just bursts into flames. Havent got a microwave in the car as the kids wouldnt stand for it. They are more sensible than me.

Head torches live in the glove box. They dont work. Wind up torches do as they dont rely on me remembering batteries.

The gps is a wonderful invention, but relies on me remembering to charge it. I have two ....

Last time we ended sleepiing in our hammocks was on the 10 mile trip home from relatives. Fuel again. I have a can in the boot, but it needs me to actually remember to put fuel in it....

Need to learn about under hammock insulation. My rear got cold !

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Thank you Robbie and Mr Lecti

I was thinking about getting a firesteel and learning how to start cook fires.

The kids have forbidden me as I might burn down the house or the forest.

They dont seem to have much faith in me.

On reflection, it would probably be safer to give the stuff to my 11 year old.

I have been thinking about one of those jetboil things.

Local shop has one he will flog me for £40.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE