hello all

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jigsaw

Jul 25, 2009
ireland
im on site here for a long while but since Im not into bushcraft practice per say I wouldnt dream of writing in usually,I am an ardent hunter,shooter with rifles and shotguns.I keep ferrets and lurchers,terriers and a big nasty german shepherd.In the summer I am a part time hill walker when I get the time and in general spend more time in the country than I do the city where Im from.I am in the process of building kennells and will have 1 room,used for any food preperation,animal illness, puppy rearing and entertaining guests.I was contemplating puting in some form of stove as I get regurlar friends calling in and thought it would be a novel idea to have the room warm when ''entertaining'' but could also use it for boiling the dog food instead of in the house..Now my kennells will be located down from the house and isolated so a free standing stove is on my mind.I was just wondering if it was possible to make a stove from say a metal drum/barrell or old gas bottle,big enough to heat a smallish area(8'x8')It would also be my hide away place for peace and quiet.I possibly sound daft here but just a thought im playing around with.If you had any photos of such a device I would be most gratefull.I must also make you aware of the enjoyment I get from browsing through the topics on here and am amazed at the knowlege and skill within this forum.It has brought me huge enjoyment in the last while I have been on here.I have used a few bits and bobs from here and look forward to spending a lot more years hopefull on here.Sorry for blabering on.Kindest regards,LIAM.

P.s. heres a taste of the type of stuff I do and I hope you dont find it offensive.
SSL20868.jpg

SSL20999.jpg

DSCF0556.jpg

031-1.jpg

well enough of that,you get the idea so hopefully lots of replys on the stove issue.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Welcome to the forum Liam. Best confine those pics to the Fair Game forum though. Although many of us don't mind that aspect of bushcraft, some don't like to see it. Family forum so kids are about.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Where do your goats go Liam?

I've a mate who's a ranger and the ones they cull go to feed the Lions at the safari parks.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
I love how Bambi is just slung in the back of your transit next to the steps haha! Bit gruesome, but cool! Welcome to the forum.

jigsaw

Jul 25, 2009
ireland
sorry johnathan,i'll resist from more of the same in the future,barn owl my goats go in the oven or in the dogs,lol.I eat almost everything I shoot.I hate to waste,dont see the point if its not used in a benificial way.BTW I lost all my material from a virus I had last week I'll take another photo of the GSD and send it to ye.Jaymz Im not one for ceremony,lol.sling em in the van and home for the skining.

jigsaw

Jul 25, 2009
ireland
Oh the main reason why I pm'd.....any heaters you might reccomend.Im planing an extensive kennell system,7 kennells and a ''kitchen''/first aid/reception room:rolleyes:

brickie

Sep 12, 2010
North Wales
Hello Jigsaw , i see you made it to this site aswell as myself , plenty of good stuff on here and none of the pillocks ,nice pic's , i don't post much on here or the other site , but i do enjoy reading other peoples post , and have to say your posts are very enjoyable , anyway try youtube for homemade woodburners theres a few on there , made from old gas bottles ,iv'e also seen a few at some of the gamefairs in the summer, one was called ozpig, it might give you some ideas cheers brickie

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Hello and welcome to BCUK!

There are lots of gas bottle stove designs, there's an article here for example

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84416

which shows one but don't let that stop you looking further. An area eight foot square won't need a very big stove at all, just be careful about ventilation.

Last month I made a dutch oven from a 13kg butane bottle. It took about twenty minutes (not counting burning the paint off it in the fire). A few of us cooked a great post-Christmas dinner in it at a meet in Derbyshire, it was excellent. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE