Hello a very cliched start but hello

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 31, 2006
Wolverhampton
Hello all as my profile says i'm very very new to Bushcraft in fact so new as to not own any books or videos on the matter. I'm here to learn about Bushcraft from those who are also learning themselves and obviouly those who are already experts. My reasons for wanting to learn are my travelling tendencies and that i'm never really going to be in one place ever so it's probably going to be handy to know. Also i really like nature so Bushcraft has really caught my interest.
So anyway hello all and i hope to learn much from you all

P@ul

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Sussex
Hi JamesB and welcome, I'm new to the site myself but know theres a great deal of info to be found, enjoy.
Paul :)

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
A warm welcome James.

If a measure of how new one is to bushcraft by how long you have had books or videos on the subject then I have been into bushcraft only 35 days! However, I have been a bit of a primitive pyromaniac for a bit longer than that.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
JamesB said:
Thanks all. I forgot to ask at the begining where is best for me to start on here?

You've already done it mate, welcome aboard.
Read a bit, do some searches, ask whatever questions you want, we were all beginners once.

Enjoy

Ogri the trog

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
JamesB said:
Anything and everything i just don't wana put myself in the deep end and be all confused about what people are saying.

Then choose the subjects that you would most like to learn about and dive in with those for a while. If you can get along to any of the meets, you'll learn masses (don't worry about not having the right colour jacket - we're quite forgiving like that).

JamesB said:
I like your avatar Ogri.

Cheers mate,
I think I got it from the selection linked to the UserCP thingy - there are a few people using it now but I was fascinated when I first saw it. Approaching time for a change methinks.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
A warm welcome to BCUK to you....... you've come to the right place to learn and pick up those tips and tricks..... any questions you have please feel free to ask :D

:)
Ed

charley beale

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2006
South
JamesB said:
Anything and everything i just don't wana put myself in the deep end and be all confused about what people are saying.

Hi James, welcome, I am very new too but my lack of knowledge made up for by my enthusiasm. I try not to worry about showing my ignorance as everyone here is so friendly and helpful! :lmao:

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
hello and welcome James have a read, use the search facility, ask us some questions but most of all get out ther and do some bushcraft and you wont be new to it for long :D

James

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
HI Mate and welcome to Bushcraft UK, it's good to have you.

When it comes to where to start it's got to be with something that you're interested in. Have a think about what you would like to do, if you would like to learn more about nature then think about how you can do that, is it get out there with some references and start to learn the names of the animals, plants, fungi etc....this could lead you on to what uses they've got, cooking, medicinal, equipment/tools etc....if you wanted to go down this rout you could think about any equipment you might need...Books, a knife, rucksack? Or you could go down another route and want to learn more about tracking and the like.....

Some people get into as much as they can on all different subjects, some concentrate on a few, the beauty of it all is there's always more to learn and do, you just need to pick where you want to start...Seriously, have a think about what interests you and start from there and just let yourself travel the paths that follow, I guarantee that it'll be a fantastic journey. :D

It's been mentioned already, but get to the meets if you can, there's some fantastic people get together via the site. You'll meet some highly skilled people that can show you all sorts.

Enjoy the site
Tone

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE