Helios Acuter Monoculars

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
I wear glasses and am finding using my binoculars more and more of a pain, so I'm thinking about a monocular. Does anybody else use these espesially the Helios Acuter.

Additionally has anybody used binoculars or a monocular that you can use whilst still wearing your glasses

TIA

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I don't have any experience with that particular make, I just bought a Tasco 16x40 from ebay for about £18.00 inc postage. The one thing to look for though, is get the biggest objective lens you can. The bigger it is the more light you get in and so the better the picture even in a low light setting eg a wood.

Tonedef

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Stockport
I use the Helios Mistral WP4, although a little on the heavy side they are sturdy and very clear/bright dusk till dawn.

my advice would be try before you buy.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I have the Helios Pocket Spy. I got it from a guy who was throwing it out because it was knackered. I asked to have a look and he said if I could fix it, it was mine. The cover comes off with one screw and the prism underneath was loose. I glued it back on with my hot glue gun, added a piece of wire to attatch a lanyard and I've used it ever since. I must have had it three or four years by now and it hasn't let me down. A twenty quid optic for nowt, cool! :D

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I agree with spamel
with postage its under £15 well worth a punt
an alternative may be to look at the Nikula monoculars which are on e bay but they dont come in much cheaper unless you are lucky; cos of the higher postage costs
I have one and it does the job-nothing fancy and highly portable which was what i wanted for regular carry and use
I would have considered the Helios if i had known about it at the time

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use an Opticron monocular after advice on here - very very good. Small, light, good image quality

Very pleased

Red

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
I've been lusting after a Opticron monocular for a good while, swmbo would disembowel me if another package turned up though...

*sign*

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Sorry I meant to update this thread. I got myself the Acuter's a while ago I was down in Ayr and Vennel camera's has a sale on so I got myself a wee bargain £5.60. I think the sale is still on

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE