Heimo's arctic refuge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
I saw this and knew it would be of interest here, its is a documentary following Heimo Korth a trapper who lives with his wife year round in the arctic national wildlife refuge in northern Alaska.

Be warned - the documentary shows the skinning of a bear and the dispatching and skinning of a hare.

Heres the Blurb>
In 1980, Jimmy Carter established the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in the Alaskan Interior, cutting off 19 million acres of prime boreal wilderness from the mitts of fur trappers, oil tycoons, and would-be lodge owners alike. Only six families of white settlers were grandfathered in and allowed to keep cabins in the refuge—of them, only one still stays there year-round living off the land. His name is Heimo Korth, and he is basically the Omega Man of America’s Final Frontier.
Raised in suburban Wisconsin, Heimo set off in his teens to the Alaskan Bush to pursue the Davy Crockett lifestyle in more or less the only place it was still possible. Amid numerous setbacks and misadventures, Heimo gradually learned how to master his terrain, provide for his Eskimo wife, and rear children in one of the most inhospitable environments in North America.
In this premiere edition of Far Out, we take a bush plane to the middle of nowhere, Alaska, to catch up with Heimo and his wife, Edna—now reaching their golden years. Over the course of our ten-day stay, the Korths show us everything you need to know about fur-trapping, caribou-hunting, caribou-eating, river-crossing, boredom-staving, bear-avoidance, and bear-defense to live happily over 100 miles from the nearest neighbors. Vegans, you have been warned. Heimo’s epic journey and adventures have been documented in the critically acclaimed book, THE FINAL FRONTIERSMAN, written by Heimo’s cousin, James Campbell. (source: VBS.tv)

Its an hour in total but is worth the watch>
http://www.vbs.tv/watch/far-out--2/heimo-s-arctic-refuge-full-length

ATB

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Do u happen to know about Heimos ancestors ?
I just wonder,as his name is very common mans name here in Finland,or atleast in long gone days it was.Word itself,Heimo,translates straight into english word "tribe".

iano

Tenderfoot
Mar 17, 2010
Wales
Just to ask PKRL, is Heimo a Finnish name or could it be a Swedish-speaking-Finnish name also?

I'm wondering as if it is a name with more Scandinavian/Norse roots, there was a big emigration of Icelanders to Canada around the 1880s onwards when times were tough in Iceland, perhaps some went a bit further on to Alaska. That said I've not met any Icelandic Heimo's yet and if it is a strictly Finnish name my theory is out of the window...

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Just to ask PKRL, is Heimo a Finnish name or could it be a Swedish-speaking-Finnish name also?

I'm wondering as if it is a name with more Scandinavian/Norse roots, there was a big emigration of Icelanders to Canada around the 1880s onwards when times were tough in Iceland, perhaps some went a bit further on to Alaska. That said I've not met any Icelandic Heimo's yet and if it is a strictly Finnish name my theory is out of the window...

Yup,it might be swedish speaking finn´s name too,as in sweden theres loads of finnish decents having finnish names but id say its finnish name if any :lmao:
but what do i know,maybe inuits and indians have also those strange names too,but it just hit my eye,that name of him as ive never heard foreign heimo-word.´There has been finnish mining community and miners and all sorts of gold diggers in canada/alaska from Finland,at early 1900´s.

While alaska was once property of russians,there was two Finnish men as governors(sorry if mis spelled),they were Arvid Adolf Etholen (1840-1845)and Johan Hampus Furuhjelm(1859-1864).These names again,arent finnish names at all,thyere more like swedish or german if you compare to names of modern ages,but back then all the folk in better places were more or less sounding more foreign and higher class,and we did have many guys with foreign roots in the best jobs...

In Alaska,theres records of Finnish people working as sailors,hand crafters,blacksmiths,miners,scientists,officers etc,but among them were some also karelian folks,i mean our finnish speaking "brothers" who lived in russia officially but close to our own karelian bordrers.Many worked,while Etholen was governor,through New Archangelic luterian church which i hear still exists in some form,somthing like "Luther church of Sitka"...?Nobody knows the accurate population of Finnish but there were,back then,hundreds of "us".

Mainly Finnish were moving to Alaska between 1830 and 1850 at first "wave",but even before that theres records telling that were especially few sailors form here,living there from 1820´s.Governor Etholen was there first time at 1818,and in Etholens ruling days,many of Finns worked in higher steps,sort of speak.His wife Margaretha established Sitka´s girlschool and they hired one more female finn there as teacher,Maria Fri Fredenberg.Between 1840-1845 the first and only pastor of luher chirch was finish Uno Cygnaeus,who held first lutherian service 23.7.1840.Oh and one person who can be noticed too was Etholens closest little helper,his adjuntant Johan Joachim von Bartram.

At early 1850´s the Finnish were vaporising and disappearing from Alaska as the fur-markets were going down since there wasnt much to hunt ( how wise that was....),and governor Furuhjelm tried to slow down the selling of alaska to USA,and tried to keep Finns there instead of leaving their "camp".There was loads of russians and many finns tried to merge to them by turning into orthodox religion,just to be more like russians and be more wanted and accepted.And back then you could get in trouble,as today,from being in wrong church as 1849 two finns,Jacob Lehto and Jacob Berg were accused of dishonouring religion as they acted in different way than orthodox believers.And into jail they went i hear,for doing something thats normal today,but back then it was more narrowminded...And when the colony was sold to america,1867,many of Finns headed back to Finland or even to Russia.But many of them ended up in San Francisco´s russian populations.The church that finns build in alaska was demolished 1888,but the Luther church stayed among the common men,and even back at 1930 there were masses and meetings,including several finns,and half-finns etc.
And at 1942 the church was rebuilt.

Since early 1900´s Finns were moving to all around USA,many went to Delaware were "we" were living already,as delaware had received its finns long time before that so there was relatives and finnish speaking communities already.

But back to topic...

USA brought 126 saami natives from Finland,and Norway,at year 1926,to tell eskimos how to live in one place and farm animals,instead of just travelling around.And decents of these sami people still do live in alaska.

personally i dont wonder if finns,and our sami people have lived in alaska,during all these years,as it is very similar,atleast parts of alaska, to our scenery,landscape,forests and our own lapland.

Last edited:

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I think I heard him mention he was from Wisconsin. In that part of the US there are a lot of descendants of Scandinavian immigrants. That might be an explanation.

Forager
Jun 16, 2008
North East
As Mastino says it does mention that he was born in Wisconsin and moved to Alaska in his late teens.

I did notice he has a book out though so maybe that would spread a little more light on it.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Hi all just finished reading this book about Hiemo and his family's life in Alaska here for the secondtime !!! i love it loads of great adventure with a few bits about legislation that can drag if you let them!

he was from Wisconsin and moved to Alaska in the 1970's spending time in a number if different communities and trapping in a few locations before moving to his camp which i believe he still occupied on the Collen river.

IIRC this documentary comes before the book right of the record the docu now goodjob

EDIT having had look this must be a new documentary there was an earlier one before the book this one talks about married daughters and grand children in the book one daughter leaves to finish school and the younger one is still resident with them

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Its on you tube now too, just to bump a great documentary about an interesting life,

[video=youtube;WIzrw0jsAJw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIzrw0jsAJw&feature=pl ayer_embedded#![/video]

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think I heard him mention he was from Wisconsin. In that part of the US there are a lot of descendants of Scandinavian immigrants. That might be an explanation.

Yep. The Wisconsin/Minnesota area population is predominantly of either German or Scandinavian heritage. There's a reason the Minnesota Pro Fottball team is called, "The Minnesota Vikings."

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE