Where will your spirit take you in 2019?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Im rather fortunate running my own bushcraft school I get to travel leading bushcraft and canoe expeditions.

My favourite destinations are the Arctic regions and the mountains of Alaska and NT Canada. There is a wonderful freedom knowing that you’re days from the nearest town and help could be a long time coming even with sat phones and gps.

Closer to home I love canoeing and camping in Finland and Abisko National Park takes some beating
The forests of Latvia and Poland are rich in wildlife and history from the battles of the Teutonic Knights to WW2 and the Cold War.

After a difficult year I have decided I desperately need a challenge and some adventure so I’m planning a 3 week canoe expedition on the Seal River. Polar bears and Beluga Whakes abound. This has been a dream of mine for many years.

So where will your spirit of adventure take you?

It doesn’t have to be further than the local woods to be amazing.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Well, the destination is where I go teice or three times a year ( Moskenesøya in Lofoten) but for the summer I plan to take my boat around the south tip to the Atlantic side and spend a few days in a bay I believe very few people have visited.
If the weather gods are kind.

I want to spend a few days observing the wildlife as it was in the area before humans settled.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The crazy bush wilderness is maybe 1,000+ feet above my house. Been there hundreds of times
and never, ever fail to wonder at the place. Hundreds of little corners to stop and poke around in.

I want to go west to Prince Rupert on the coast and take the overnight barge to Haida Gwaii for a couple of weeks.
I need to tour some abandoned villages and see the old poles. Just need to pick the dates!

Reactions: Janne

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've been saying for years I'd like to see the northern lights. I'd love to explore the Isle of Man and also go back to the dingle peninsula in Ireland. Had a fantastic wildcamp there on the shore for 10 days and would love to repeat it. So beautiful there and much was left unexplored.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
I am toying with the idea of canoeing down the Mississippi from its source down to the Gulf of Mexico, I reckon it will take about 3-4 months, so I am still in the planning stage, as it is about 2.5k miles,

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Northern lights are truly fantastic.
Two problems: You need to get above the Arctic Circle to see the good ones, in winter and:
The sky needs to be clear.
I wish everyone of you gets that opportunity and luck!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Aurora borealis: There are now several good websites for predicting the lights.
Only problem is that the solar flare number is the very lowest that it has been in many decades.
That means very few and very far north, but the mapped predictions are not hard to find.

Fadcode: We thought of that as teens.
Start in Last Mountain Lake in SK. Get into the Qu'Apelle river system.
Just a few portages to get into the Mississippi.

I like Haida Gwaii dates. It should be a 'peachy' trip.

Haida and the Tlingit & Tsimshian (mainland up into AK) are growing a genetic clone
of potatoes brought north from Peru/Chile, maybe prior to European contact (Russians? Chinese?).
I want to see them and try those potatoes.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Northern lights are truly fantastic.
Two problems: You need to get above the Arctic Circle to see the good ones, in winter and:
The sky needs to be clear.
I wish everyone of you gets that opportunity and luck!
Was in sweden last winter and despite many hours outside at night in -28 or-30 while everyone else sat indoors by the fire I never got to see them. Oh well.I tried. I knew I'd be lucky if I did as realy I was a bit too far south and now we have a solar minimum so it didn't happen.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Where were you?

I spend quality time just above the Arctic Circle each winter for two weeks and it is visible most nights ( if the clouds are absent or very thin), even if very faint. Like a (usually) green shimmer.
Those full blown multi colored curtains are fairly rare. Years I saw that last time.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Where were you?

I spend quality time just above the Arctic Circle each winter for two weeks and it is visible most nights ( if the clouds are absent or very thin), even if very faint. Like a (usually) green shimmer.
Those full blown multi colored curtains are fairly rare. Years I saw that last time.
No idea where exactly. Somewhere in ostersund. Far too far south realy. But I travelled in hope

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You can see the Aurora there mid winter, at or close to solar maximum activity. I saw my first ones there back in the early 70's when my family went there skiing, just west of Ostersund close to the Norwegian border.
Not every night though.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
You can see the Aurora there mid winter, at or close to solar maximum activity. I saw my first ones there back in the early 70's when my family went there skiing, just west of Ostersund close to the Norwegian border.
Not every night though.

That's about where I was in January this year.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
After a difficult year I have decided I desperately need a challenge and some adventure so I’m planning a 3 week canoe expedition on the Seal River. Polar bears and Beluga Whakes abound. This has been a dream of mine for many years.

I'll carry your bags :)

Seriously though, I've got four weeks of coastal overlanding and wild camping (wherever possible) and two river treks planned for next year - all in the UK though :) But, I am still amazed at the beauty and character of our country - so, yes, one doesn't have to go far to 'get away from it'.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Canoe trip:

If you want to experience a bit of wilderness, interspecked with resupply villages, I can recommend you try the Dala river in Sweden. You can rent canoes there. Paddling down stream is recommended. A few short portages. Beaver, otter, moose, deer.
Close to UK.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
I'll carry your bags :)

Seriously though, I've got four weeks of coastal overlanding and wild camping (wherever possible) and two river treks planned for next year - all in the UK though :) But, I am still amazed at the beauty and character of our country - so, yes, one doesn't have to go far to 'get away from it'.
That's a fine point, I've been in UK for decades never had much will to go abroad, I've been a good few place's but there is so much here yet to be know!

Reactions: Billy-o

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
My wife and I are hoping to take our overland vehicle to the arctic circle next year providing we get the truck built in time. We're thinking we'll take a couple of months off to complete the trip so we can take our time and not have to rush. Really can't wait, I love a good road trip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE