Heating a small bell tent with chafing burner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
hi bob i hadnt seen that before but i can tell you even the single pot is amazing so im sure that set up would be even better, atb wayne

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Cheers guys

Hi fish don't think we have freecycle as up here in Glasgow but will look into it.
is there not a smell associated with paraffin heaters especial if used in a closed space?

not too bad we heat our bathroom and landing with them in the winter.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have just ordered the belltent double tier chandelier which has 21 candles so should kick out a bit of heat.
Its going into one of their 5 meter belltents this weekend so i will post a review if its any good.

Providing it gets here by the weekend that is.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ventilate a lot, candles produce more fumes than pretty much any other source of open flame lighting.

Would some or all of the lower vents be enough?
Going to make sure I buy some decent quality tea lights, also investing in a battery operated carbon monox alarm just incase..

This is our first outing in the 5 meter tent and with a sewn in sheet. Going to be an experiment....

I had a good look through the links you provided above but i think i will just bite the bullet and go for the Frontier stove.

Last edited:

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi Dwardo
If my tent was a 5 meter i would be using a Frontier stove, I put 1 into my mates tentipi and its brill.
My tent is just too small for one and since I'm only looking to realistically keep the chill out (get it up too jumper wearing temp) been looking at alternatives.
i would love to hear how you get on with the chandelier but think this will not be an option for me as my tent stands just over 6' at its peak.
after some suggestions and a links from Rik which sent me off in an other direction I picked up this today from my mate
2012-08-22%2017.51.20.jpg

Who made it twice as big as I wanted but hey it's makes a more stable platform( hey I'm a glass half full type of guy) and the more I think about it a flower pot heater to go on top seems like a good idea.
I just had to have a wee play when i got home and it takes about 10 mins to make an espresso so won't be the fastest coffee in the morning but will get their eventually.
A alarm would be on my kit list for piece of mind Safety first.

Bob

Last edited:

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
I can't disagree with what Rik says about the frontier it is small with a narrow/shorter flue ,got to clean it every couple of days to keep it working right .
looking at the wildo .it has a bigger cooking area, the flue is a bigger and has a bigger door with controllable air intake on the front.
My only concern would be how low it sits to the ground for a tent with sewn in ground sheet but I dare say that would be an easy fix some kind of protection on the floor.

Bob

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The Frontier stove is nice, but its small, has a quite narrow flue which is short too. The Wildo is a better option or
http://www.gisurplus.co.uk/shop/product.php/729/swedish-army-wood-burning-stove

You need to spend £150 plus VAT on a mixed order but that should be no problem, they have some great deals. You would spend more than that on a Frontier by the time you buy extra flue sections.

I kind of like the way the frontier stove packs down and seems the lighter option. You say the flu is too short?
The others do look a lot more sturdy though.
Thread highjack sorry ;)

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Don't worry about it .
its all tent heating , it was an option I looked at to start with
What I mean is shorter than the wildo

Bob

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Well we tried the chandellier and it worked great. Looks nice too :)
Just incase i purchased a digital carbon Monoxide alram which not only alarms if there is a problem but also records the levels of carbon monoxide over the last 7 days.
Not once did the levels even register above normal for the whole period even when all 21 candles were lit with all the doors closed. I am pretty sure this was mainly due to the four large vents in the top of the tent. The temperature rose by 5 degrees after an hour or two with the chandellier at full burn. I used a good quality tea light and there was no soot marking on the canvas after 2 nights of use. Temperature guage was also on the moxy alarm so a good buy, BnQ for about £30.
IMAG0608.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE