To bell tent or not to bell tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I've been rather taken with the article on bell tents. I'm generally a tree dweller, but now I've got a family I want to get the young one out in the woods.

I could get one of those souless cheap £100-£150 jobbies with the nice zipped sleeping areas, a gas stove, table and chairs.

Or of course I could get a lovely big bell tent, make a hole in the side and stick my home made pig stove inside and camp year round.

I have worries that my son may want to play with the stove. Also I'm not sure if I want a 4m or 5m one.

Also I worry the wife will think it's a big waste of money.

To counteract this, I'm taking the family up to the guys in Norfolk in the hope I can convince the wife to suggest buying it (therefore negating blame when she spends a single night in it and hates it). I'm up for suggestions on stopping a toddler from playing with something he's been told not to (yeah right).

I think cost wise it's a good idea, bell tents (Assuming I don't burn it down on the first trip) will last many years. Probably will outlast me if treated well.

Also I can put it up in the garden for summer parties, I can use it during the winter when I go for my subzero camp (it's nice to have a night without the scouts and a decent bottle of wine and roast some chestnuts)

Camping fees are shocking now - I'm really surprised that a weeks camping is £150. I guess I'm used to cheap scout camping prices of a couple of quid a night!

Any tips/tricks? I read this: http://paulkirtley.co.uk/2014/how-to-live-in-a-heated-tent/
I'm not sure a knife strapped to my mainpole with a toddler around is a great idea. Perhaps I need a fire guard to stop questioning fingers.

4m big enough or should I be looking at 5m? A 4m will be OK for 2 plus a child plus a stove for the short term, but a 5m will probably give me more use as he grows...

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
We have the 5 meter and my missus and boy love it. I have a wire cage that I pu around the stove to stop any accidents.
Our little boy (3yr old) seemed to understand the stove is hot and dangerous but the cage gives peace of mind, it would be easy to trip and fall against the stove at that age. They are a joy to sleep in as it feels like you have slept under a tarp as they are so "airy" for want of a better word. They also let a lot of light through so dont feel dark and enclosed like a plastic tent.

Only down side and this is being picky is the pack size. You need a good sized car boot or it will just consume all the space with little left for much else.
A box on the car roof is a much better idea if possible.

Also as you mentioned they are great in the summer with the sides up. You will also need a pretty big garden if you want to use it at home. Think 5 meter tent plus a good meter either side for the guys.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I have no experience of bell tents, but we have a Tentipi Safir 5cp and a Fronteir stove and its fantastic! It's actually very portable, we have taken just the tipi on a hike once- wouldn't do it again, but it isn't that bad. It is perfect for when we're in the canoe, absolutely fantastic way of camping, especially in the cold! :)

Hope this helps :).

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I have a lot of trees now in the back garden, hmm. That's a good point. I need to go measure.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I have no experience of bell tents, but we have a Tentipi Safir 5cp and a Fronteir stove and its fantastic! It's actually very portable, we have taken just the tipi on a hike once- wouldn't do it again, but it isn't that bad. It is perfect for when we're in the canoe, absolutely fantastic way of camping, especially in the cold! :)

Hope this helps :).

I'd love one, but at over a grand! :)

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
muqutu6a.jpg

I put a fire grate in front of mine when the little un was very small but I don't take it now he's three n half

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
We have a Bisontelt Tundra 8 Lavvu with a stove. Our youngest has grown up with the stove and has not had any issues with going near the "hot". A fire guard is a sensible addition as things can get knocked over or pushed aside when moving around inside the tent even when no one is close to the stove.
We upgraded from a silnylon dome shaped thing with separate "bedrooms" but we were always trying to "live" within the middle "living area" and not go into the bedrooms - the Lavvu forces you to use the space in a different way and results in more space whatever you are doing, day or night.

I'd say go for the biggest one you can afford as there will be times when your only course of action is to sit and wait for heavy rain to stop - you'll need all the space you can get with a youngster!

ATB

Ogri the trog

rg598

Native
If you've decided to go with a semi-permanent set up like this, I would go as big as possible. Why not? It's not like you are going to toss it into a backpack and carry it around. It will also mitigate the chance of anyone getting too close to the stove.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Hi I have twins and we took them bell tenting from toddlers, we used a fire guard for added peace of mind, I would move it round depending as to if they were in or out of the tent. Another thing to consider if you side exit the flue is that gets red hot too and is very tempting for young hands too. We use a 4m bell tent but if we could have stretched to 5m we would have. I have never regretted buying it and it does extend the season for family camping. I also love the breeze that comes through when you open the windows on a sunny morning, and the way it keeps cooler unlike a nylon tent. Mine has stood through all weathers and it has never let me down or let in a drop of water. Good luck with your hunt for a bell tent.:)

039.jpg004.jpg

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have a 4m soulpad and its big enough for me and the wife plus 2 kids however i dont use a stove as the youngest is 2 and i think the space would be tight with a stove as well as the kids. The reason i got the 4m is that most family site pitches are for tents up to 4m any bigger and you can get nobbled for more cash. Generally though we camp in the warmer months as a family.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Yes pitch size is a bit of a worry. Perhaps I'll be a bit pernickety when choosing sites. I think the 5m is becoming the choice to go for.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Oddly enough everywhere I've been looking where I've camped previously has specified sizes (like 7.5mx6.5m) which I assume includes space for the car as well.

I suspect I may run into trouble occasionally. But if I do, it's probably not a site I'll return to.

I most likely will use it on scout campsites where there are no such silly rules, generally quieter (especially the ones I book all to myself).

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
It can't be enforced very well anyway - every campsite I go to has those massive interconnected tents with 12 bedrooms plus a gazebo and the people I speak to have never mentioned additional charges. I've never been charged for my gazebo either, come to think of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE