Services offered Heat treating - Carbon steel blades

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I'll have to bow to both of your levels of experience, and I realise it's easier, but I cannot see how you know what hardness the edge of the blade is. There are plenty of papers written about grinding damage of heat treated surfaces and when I was apprenticed it was always considered a no-no to carry out any serious levels of work on a heat treated part because it was impossible to say what hardness was achieved in the end - but that was the MOD and quality control was pretty strict and specifications were very tight.

I also accept that if you are using a forge or a flame to heat treat it's very easy to 'burn' the thin edge of a sharpened blade and so treating before final grinding is probably the better option. But if you're using a kiln to heat treat there's no possibility of 'burning' the edge.

Anyway, to each their own, I'll stick to the way I was taught, old habits die hard :)

That's likely referring to grinding with wheels, which generate more heat than belts do. In my case I know the steel hasn't over heated and softened because it hasn't changed colour. If no oxides have appeared on the surface of the steel, then it cannot have got above about 190C (unless I were grinding in an oxygen free environment, but I like breathing air). Also, if you are grinding freehand as I do, my fingers soon tell me when the blade is getting warm!

The kilns don't overheat or burn the edge, but they will happily decarburise it, which is just as bad for the steel ;)

p.s Stew, sorry for the derailment!

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
I am able to offer heat treating of carbon steel blades for those who don't have the facility to do this part themselves.

The process is performed in a digitally controlled kiln to enable accuracy. Steels include O1, 1095, 80CRV2, 52100 but feel free to enquire about others.

Size wise up to a 12" blade, but again if you have bigger then we can chat.

Cost is £8 per blade with postage charged at cost on top using whichever service suits you.
Can you heat treat an old ‘sheffield’ file and grind a full flat if I cut the blank?

Chazaxl

Nov 4, 2019
West London
Stew, I'd like to avail of your heat treating services but dont think I can PM as a new user. Done my first knife in O1 steel, something you can help with? Thanks.

Nov 5, 2019
York
I am able to offer heat treating of carbon steel blades for those who don't have the facility to do this part themselves.

The process is performed in a digitally controlled kiln to enable accuracy. Steels include O1, 1095, 80CRV2, 52100 but feel free to enquire about others.

Size wise up to a 12" blade, but again if you have bigger then we can chat.

Cost is £8 per blade with postage charged at cost on top using whichever service suits you.
I am new to both this form and knife making, iam just setting up and are going to be making my first knife blanks soon do you still offer this service

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I am new to both this form and knife making, iam just setting up and are going to be making my first knife blanks soon do you still offer this service

Hi Matt,

Yes I do.

You'll need to make some more posts on the forum before you'll be able to send a pm. Not sure on the quantity you have to get to though!

Nicksouth

May 2, 2020
Chichester
Hi Matt,

Yes I do.

You'll need to make some more posts on the forum before you'll be able to send a pm. Not sure on the quantity you have to get to though!
Hi Stew, do you still offer this service? I've got a 01 blade that I'm looking to get heat treated.
Best,
Nick

lupus solus

Jul 13, 2017
Hatfield
Stew can you PM me your number please. I have a batch of items in 0.1 I need heat treated in the coming weeks. Would prefer to discuss over the phone.

Cheers

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Afternoon Stew. I'll be making up a few throwing knives and axes over the coming months in EN42 spring carbon steel. I don't (currently) have the facility to heat treat. I need 'tough' rather than 'hard' to withstand the rigours of throwing. Rc50-55, it doesn't have to be too precise. Rc58+ is too brittle and they will chip.

Is this something you could do please?

Cheers, K

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
would you heat treat things other than blade blanks? I have a mind to make a couple of drilling jigs from 01 and would want them hardened after, possibly. wouldnt be bigger than a blade but would be 4/5 times thicker

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE