Heat Proof Mat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
I was in B&Q the other day and saw a heat proof mat (for soldering). I wondered if this would help prevent the scorching that I get when I use the Wild WoodGas Stove.

I tried it out when I was having a go at making some soap the other day. I was fairly hopeful that it would work, so I used it on my damp grass.

I think the photos speaks for themselves…

dscn1207-small.jpg

dscn1208-small.jpg

(I wasn't able to upload photos here maybe it's my low post-count or maybe the maintenance, so I hosted them on my blog)

Has anyone found anything portable to use under a stove to prevent scorching?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I opened this thread thinking you were simply going to be asking for a heat proof mat suggestion and I would have recommended a soldering mat! Great photo - it's good to have a real world test.

To solve the problem, however, maybe a piece of foil in between the stove and the mat?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A good old fashioned flat stone which you'll find if you look about most places, or even a series of smaller rocks. Or scrape down to mineral layer and replace afterwards, or a mound fire base. (Just think of your stove as a semi contained open fire, have a wee read through some of the Leave No Trace stuff). It's good that your thinking about it as the amount of folk who damage areas even with stoves is crazy.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Fire blanket for me, a couple of layers works a treat and its very light. That said I've only used it with my honey and not tried lighting a (ground) fire on it. As Goatboy says for a campfire I'd just clear the ground to bare earth.

DSC_0654_zps1fd3478a.jpg

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Silicone mats don't work - burned straight through it in no time with my Wildgas wood-stove!

I'm currently using a carbon felt mat (got in the US) which does the job.

digitracker

Mar 29, 2012
Leeds
I store mine in an Aldis cookie tin which doubles up as a stand for the cooker when it is upside down.
P1000255.jpg
Plenty of room for a trangia, lighters and magic biscuits as well.
P1000254.jpg

Cost about £1.50 and you get a nice packet of Danish cookies to scoff.

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
I store mine in an Aldis cookie tin which doubles up as a stand for the cooker when it is upside down.
View attachment 16256
Plenty of room for a trangia, lighters and magic biscuits as well.
View attachment 16255

Cost about £1.50 and you get a nice packet of Danish cookies to scoff.

That looks great. Definitely going to give it a go. Hardware + "free" biccies thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE